Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Normal temperature for Prescott

Default Normal temperature for Prescott

Hi all!

What is the norma temperature for pentium 4 3.0 HT, because my cpu is getting up to 75C or more (when i play ut2k3 at max graphics). My normal cpu temp is about 50C.

Is this normal?
    Attached Images Attached Images Normal temperature for Prescott-onej-jpg 
    Intel Pentiun 4 3.06 GHz 800MHz 1MB S478 BOX
    ASUS P4P800S-X ATX AGP8x 848P MCH Soc.478
    DDR 512MB PC3200 400MHz Transcend
    GeCube ATI RADEON 9600XT 256MB
    Disk AT 160 GB 7200rpm MAXTOR 6Y160P0 8MB
    DVD RW*16 NEC ND-3520

Default Re: Normal temperature for Prescott

is ur system overclocked or somethning? Cuz how is your core speed higher than the orginal clock speed?

Zeeg: The core speed is higher because the native FSB of the mainboard is running at 200.9MHz. This is very common with Tier 1 board manufacturers. My own system does a similar thing since the FSB runs at 200.9 and reports the processor speed at 2412MHz. So no, the system is not overclocked.

Anubis: The first thing I would do is to get a real thermal probe and get an accurate temperature reading. You can pick up something simple like a Compu-Nurse for pretty cheap or get something along the lines of a Digi-Doc for a good deal more. Asus Probe is notorious for giving results that are terribly high and it has had this reputation for several years. To my knowledge they have yet to get the issue fixed. At the least, try looking into a utility called Motherboard Monitor 5 and see if it supports your motherboard and chipset. The program maker has done away with updates so there are no future support options for this utility, but it may support the gear you have in place. It will give a truer reading as it detects the data from the Winbond chip that is likely used on your board. Once we get a more accurate result we can decide whether you have need of additional cooling.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Zeeg: the cpu is not overclocked.

http://www.micomps.com/product_p/c99034.htm <= here are the CPU characteristics for my CPU and there is the maximum operating temperature 69.1C so i think my temperature should be normal or? I think i'll by new zalman coller but i can't find any zalman to fit on teh asus p4p800s-x. Can someone help? I have one question can i cahnge my fan RPM (i have the intel coller that come with the cpu) Here is a screenshoot from mbm 5 (i'we selectet only asus p4p800 series because i did not find p4p800s-x)
    Attached Images Attached Images Normal temperature for Prescott-mbm5-jpg 
    DVD RW*16 NEC ND-3520

Ah, didn't see the Prescott moniker the first time through. These processors are running pretty hot from everything I've heard. While you're not in an area to give you problems, you might still want to look into something better for CPU cooling. If you can afford water or other alternative cooling, that might be a good way to go. While there is very good air cooling available, they temd to be a bit on the loud side. Water gives you better cooling with a lot less noise.

Just something to consider.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Yes Prescotts do run hot but at 75C they start throttling. Check your case's airflow as this is the first part that will cause high temps with Prescotts if airflow is insuffient.

I have tryed all but nothing helps. So can someone please help me to find a zalman cu or alcu that would fit on my MB asus p4p800s-x.
    DVD RW*16 NEC ND-3520

Anubis,

I was googling for this very subject, so joined to make this post.

I have a p4p800S-X and have identical problems to you! I built my system in Feb with a p4 3.2 1mb 478pin prescott.

With the stock HSF my computer idled at 60degs.

The thermal throttle on the CPU is 66degrees, and I'd hit 75 or so under load, so that's hopeless.

I bought a ThermalTake copper heatsink/fan combo (one that allowed me to be lazy enough to just drop it onto the standard mounting bracket).

At full rpm the machine now idles at 47degrees, and under load goes to 57.5, which I find acceptable.

However, the noise is unbearable. The fan spins at 7000 rpm's and generates 45db! So I've solved the cooling problem, but it's by no means an elegant solution.

I too am looking for a quieter system, I really regret buying the p4 this time. I had an AMD previously and was fairly unhappy. I can't seem to win. :(

Does ANYONE know of a zalman HSF that will fit the p4p800S-X? I'm tempted to buy the CNPS7000-ALCU just on the chance that it will fit the board. Much googling on the subject realises no luck, and I think the Zalman website which list mobo support is horribly out of date for Intel boards, because I've read posts by people on other forums who've attached Zalman's to boards not on the supported list.

Fome.

I have a socket 478 prescott 3.0ghz in a shuttle SB61G2V3 which runs at 49 degrees celcius with 2 folding at home instances running 24/7. I've only seen the temp go up to 54 degrees tops via speedfan or MBM5 [ i prefer speedfan though].

Hi guys. I found your post on this website about your prescott running hot, and thought that maybe my experience with a my prescott might be able to help you. I have a 2.8Ghz Prescott overclocked to about 3.2 and with the standard heatsink it was running at about 50c idol and up to 60c under full load. At this temperature the fan would slowly crank up to 5-6k (pretty loud). I never experienced temps as high as yours though. However, only a week ago, i got a new FHS and its EXTREMELY quiet and EXTREMELY effective. I get about 41-44 degrees idol and a maximum of 50 degrees on full load (using asusprobe). There is only one problem with this FHS. Its very large, almost 13-14 cm across, but if you have the room in your case i would strongly recommend it. I would also recommend a powerful rear fan to blow the hot air out of the case. I have mine connected to a fan control so when i sleep i can turn it down. Anyway, you can find info on both of these products on this website:

1) My CPU FHS --> http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod1782.htm
    2) My Rear fan --->
    http://www.pccasegear.com.au/prod564.htm

I can not recommend the CPU FHS enough. On the highest speed, the noise is bearly audible (1.8k rpm) and on low (800rpm) there is absolutely no noise at all. The Rear fan is also pretty quiet, although on full (2.5k rpm) it can be a bit loud.

Well i hope this helps.
    Best of luck!
    PP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information