Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

Down to reasoning...
    M stands for "mobile". Mobile means it shuts down most processes when not in use. It also means it uses less power for the video and other resources to save battery life.
    I just purchased and new one and got an AMD 64 (over a p-4 3.4ghz with HT).. just because I hate intel chips.
    The mobil will not run faster than a regular cpu because it will not use as much power. Even if you are able to oc it to be faster you're going to burn it out very fast. If you want a laptop for gaming...mobile is not the way to go. Sorry. Even the P-4 laptops aren't great for gaming. I sell them.

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CP

Quote Originally Posted by eat@joes
    Down to reasoning...
    M stands for "mobile". Mobile means it shuts down most processes when not in use. It also means it uses less power for the video and other resources to save battery life.
    I just purchased and new one and got an AMD 64 (over a p-4 3.4ghz with HT).. just because I hate intel chips.
    The mobil will not run faster than a regular cpu because it will not use as much power. Even if you are able to oc it to be faster you're going to burn it out very fast. If you want a laptop for gaming...mobile is not the way to go. Sorry. Even the P-4 laptops aren't great for gaming. I sell them.
    My 2 gig PM gets over 5k in 3dmark '05, over 30fps@ 1600x1200 in Doom 3 HQ settings. That's on par with many 6800GT desktops.
    If you read the link I previously posted, you'll find the M@ 2125MHz beats a P4 @3.6/3.8GHz in many of the benchmarks. They ESTIMATED that it would be equal, if not faster than an FX55(in the tests used) if it were clocked @2.6.
    Granted, it's not the best review, but it will give you an idea of the clock for clock performance of the Ms themselves, not the graphics cards they are used with.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information