Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

Default How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

Like say an Intel celeron M 320 1.3 GHZ is comparable in speed to what in the P4 lineup or even the AMD lineup for laptops.

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CP

Celeron-M 1.3? Theres nothing that slow around, except other Celeron-M's

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

No kidding. Even Mobile Athlon XPs on notebooks should be faster. Don't get a 1.3GHz Celeron M when the P4, Pentium-M, and Athlon 64 lineups all have better offerings.

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CP

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Someone told me the Ms will be about twice as fast as what they are rated which would make the Celeron M faster than the A 2800+
    That's incredibly stupid for several reasons:

For starters, it's "rated" at 1.3GHz. If it were twice as fast, that would make it 2.6GHz. It's not a 2.6GHz processor. It's 1.3 GHz. That's why it's called a 1.3 GHz Celeron M.

Secondly, 2600 is less than 2800, so that wouldn't make it better, if that rating even worked, bringing me to my third point...

The 2800 does not correspond to clock speeds of Intel processors. A 2800 is faster than a 2.8GHz P4 in most applications and a 3.0GHz, too. At the same time, a 2.8GHz Pentium 3, Athlon XP, or Pentium M would all be faster than it. But that doesn't matter, because it simply isn't meant to correspond. It's a very common misconception that that's what the model numbers on AMD CPUs signify.

In any case, even a 1.3GHz Pentium M wouldn't beat a 2800. Pentium Ms generally need to be within 200MHz-300MHz of an Athlon 64 to outperform it (in general terms; there will be huge differences in certain areas). That's Pentium Ms. Something to remember for future references is that a Celeron is always weaker than CPUs of any relatively modern architectures of the same or greater clock speeds. A Celeron M would top a 1.3GHz Athlon or P4, but probably not an A64 or Opteron, and it won't beat any of them if they're at clockspeeds greater than 1.6Ghz.

So to repeat my first piece of advice, don't get a Celeron M. They only charge so much because having such a weak, low-power CPU allows the laptop to remain cool and be thinner and lighter. I would recommend a Pentium M for laptops where possible. Athlon 64s and P4s are just not meant for laptops, and they make them big, noisy, hot, and expensive. Pentium M takes away everything but the price for no additional cost. Celeron M does that but the cost is a huge loss of performance over even Mobile Athlon XPs. If a DTR (desktop replacement) laptop is needed, than a Mobile Athlon 64 or Mobile P4 is worth considering, but Pentium M should be used for anything not needing the best performance available.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    That's incredibly stupid for several reasons:
    Yawgm0th, your wrong, the M's are faster! Providing the video cards are fairly close to par in the systems I have.

Now speaking from experience after using both types of CPU's, the Mobile Celeron Cpu of half the rated speed seems faster than the regular Celeron based laptop CPU. I can play games that were sluggish and unplayable on the 2.6 GHz laptop with the M1.3 GHz Laptop. Whoever told me that the Mobil CPU's were underrated to about half or more compared to the non-mobil couterpart, I beleive they are right, ofcoarse the video card could have a roll to play, the Mobil Celeron system has Intel graphics (64 MB max) opposed the the ATI Radeon mobil chip (128MB max) in the Celeron 2.6 GHz system. I would have guessed the Radeon card was better but apparently not, other than the CPU, mainboard, and graphics card the systems are identical in parts and brand names.

I really don't think a person can rely on the speed a CPU is rated at anymore, it seems every type of CPU is rated on a different scale or something nowdays.

Default Re: How much better are the pentium M processors compared to an AMD Athlon + or P4 CPU?

You're comparing it to a 2.6Ghz Celeron. That means it's a P4 Celeon. Those things are beaten by long-dead architectures of much lower clockspeeds (e.g. Athlon and P3s). A Celeron-M should outperform a much faster non-Mobile if we're talking about P4-based Celerons, which we are.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You're comparing it to a 2.6Ghz Celeron. That means it's a P4 Celeon. Those things are beaten by long-dead architectures of much lower clockspeeds (e.g. Athlon and P3s). A Celeron-M should outperform a much faster non-Mobile if we're talking about P4-based Celerons, which we are.
    The speed ratings on CPU's are decieving to me. It use to be something I could rely on a few years ago but now things are getting tough to know what you are really getting........ The low speed ratings of a mobil CPU discouraged me in the past but now I know better.

Clock for clock, the PMs are some of the best CPUs out there.

Check this out for more info...

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMDMw

Quote Originally Posted by matm347
    Clock for clock, the PMs are some of the best CPUs out there.

Check this out for more info...

http://www.hexus.net/content/reviews...lld19JRD0xMDMw

I see faster and MUCH cooler running systems in the near future:).

Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    Yawgm0th, your wrong, the M's are faster!
    M processors seem to run games alot faster on laptops than athlons on a proper computer rig cant really explain it the athlon core is much better, For normal system processes the athlon is faster.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information