Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Is this a MB or CPU problem? (somewhat long)

Default Is this a MB or CPU problem? (somewhat long)

I got my first/new AMD system last week and have had a bunch of problems trying to get it going.

New parts...
    ASUS A8N SLI Deluxe
    6800GT PCIe
    AMD 64 3800+
    1gig OCZ PC3500

I got everything installed and going fine...I successfully installed XP and was installing my SCSI card drivers(first driver to install) when the system abruptly shut down...no warning or anything.

It seemed like an emergency shut down due to heat, so I felt the CPU/HS and everything seemed normal, fan could spin freely, and HS was just warm to the touch.
    I started it up again and did not even get a POST, the fans turned on and the drives spun up...and after a few seconds it turned off in the same manner.

I let it set over night with the same results...no POST.

So I pulled the cards I did not need.. still no post.

I read in the instructions where this MB will say what is wrong..like NO VGA and NO CPU...
    So I pull the video card, I did not hear anything, same when I pull the RAM.

I thought it was the MB till I pull the CPU and hear "NO CPU INSTALLED"..I put it back in and get nothing.

As stated above, this is my first AMD system and wanted to know from people with more experience what they thought this might be...the CPU or MB.

I must state that this was after I unintentionally overclocked the CPU to 2.6ghz(thought it was supposed to run @2.6), this is after I saw XP reporting the CPU at ~2.1 ghz(cool & quiet was disabled). Would a 200 mhz OC kill a CPU like this, even when there was almost zero load? I know AMDs have thermal protection, even if it's not quite as good as P4s, shouldn't it have kicked in if it was just a heat issue due to the OC?

It was suggested by the AMD forum that it was the PSU since it was a 20 pin(550watt Antec)...but a new 24 pin (480watt Antec) did not change the no POST situation at all.

So for those who are more AMD inclined, what does the problem sound like to you? CPU or MB?
    If CPU, would the 200MHz OC cause this? (Retail Cooler w/arctic silver 3)

Also, if anyone knows any other testing to do to help isolate the trouble, please let me know.

Default Re: Is this a MB or CPU problem? (somewhat long)

You haven't done anything (or at least haven't claimed to) about the POST. I have yet to see any reason to believe that there is any physcial damage to anything.

First, try clearing the CMOS using the switch on the board or by manually pulling out the battery and putting it back in.

If that doesn't work, pull out the battery and power on the computer with no battery. Turn it off and put the battery back in, and turn it on again.

If that doesn't work, pull everything except the CPU off of the motherboards: all power cords; IDE, floppy, and SATA cords; case jumpers; RAM; PCI and PCI-E cards, including the video cards; all fans; the CMOS batter, and anything else except, again, the CPU. Leave it for a while (several hours or even a day, if you want). Then put everything necessary back on (power, fans, CMOS, video, RAM, case speaker and vital case jumpers; nothing else, for testing purposes) and start the computer. If it doesn't work and there are no POST beeps, you probably need to RMA the motherboard. BTW. this has nothing to do with being an AMD system. It's generally the order you want to go in with any x86 computer.

I say the motherboard because it's very unlikely that a 200MHz overclock on even that cooling would fry the processor. If the temperatures were that bad, you would likely have had overheating issues during the installation of Windows while the machine was at 2.1GHz. I'm not saying it's impossible or even unbelievably rare, but I just don't see it as being likely. Plus, computers generally shut down due to overheating well below damaging temperatures, and the heatsink would have likely left 1st degree burns on your hand if were really hot enough to fry the CPU.

I'd say a possible cause of the initial problem was the 20-pin PSU. The general consensus is that they work on boards with 24-bin connector, but are usually unstable.

BTW, why Arctic Silver 3? I mean, if you're not overclocking I can see the use of the stock heatsink, but AS3? AS5 is cheap as hell and much, much better as well much, much easier to use.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    You haven't done anything (or at least haven't claimed to) about the POST. I have yet to see any reason to believe that there is any physcial damage to anything.
    I suppose I should have said "I pulled the stuff I did not need to see the POST" instead of " I pulled the cards I did not need" as this is what I did at this point...pulled everything except CPU, RAM and VGA.

First, try clearing the CMOS using the switch on the board or by manually pulling out the battery and putting it back in.
    I've tried this...with no success

If that doesn't work, pull out the battery and power on the computer with no battery. Turn it off and put the battery back in, and turn it on again.

If that doesn't work, pull everything except the CPU off of the motherboards: all power cords; IDE, floppy, and SATA cords; case jumpers; RAM; PCI and PCI-E cards, including the video cards; all fans; the CMOS batter, and anything else except, again, the CPU. Leave it for a while (several hours or even a day, if you want). Then put everything necessary back on (power, fans, CMOS, video, RAM, case speaker and vital case jumpers; nothing else, for testing purposes) and start the computer. If it doesn't work and there are no POST beeps, you probably need to RMA the motherboard. BTW. this has nothing to do with being an AMD system. It's generally the order you want to go in with any x86 computer.
    I've done this as well...still nothing...not until I pull the CPU out..the amount of time does not seem to change anything.

I say the motherboard because it's very unlikely that a 200MHz overclock on even that cooling would fry the processor. If the temperatures were that bad, you would likely have had overheating issues during the installation of Windows while the machine was at 2.1GHz. I'm not saying it's impossible or even unbelievably rare, but I just don't see it as being likely. Plus, computers generally shut down due to overheating well below damaging temperatures, and the heatsink would have likely left 1st degree burns on your hand if were really hot enough to fry the CPU.
    I agree that it's not a heat problem, it was suggested at the AMD forum this was a heat issue. But I checked the BIOS tems before the XP load and they were ~40C. I also felt the HS just after the first shut down, because it seemed like an emergency thermal shut down...it was a normal temp.

I'd say a possible cause of the initial problem was the 20-pin PSU. The general consensus is that they work on boards with 24-bin connector, but are usually unstable.

BTW, why Arctic Silver 3? I mean, if you're not overclocking I can see the use of the stock heatsink, but AS3? AS5 is cheap as hell and much, much better as well much, much easier to use.
    I used AS3 because it is left over from a few years back when it was the best thing they had at the time. I am going to get a waterblock as soon as I get this thing going so I figured I'd use the AS3 instead of the AS5 I had. I realize there is a few degrees Centigrade between the two..but again...It's either use it, or toss it.

But I have RMAd the CPU, I wanted to get that done ASAP since their FAQs are unclear on who I deal with on retail CPUs after the 7 days, but before the 30.
    I already have an RMA # for the MB, but will try the new CPU first as I would rather save on shipping $$ if at all possible.

I'm getting anxious to get this thing going...even before the drivers were loaded, it seemed quite a bit faster.

BTW, the CPU would still get warm, even without the POST...so It may just be a MB problem, which would be the first problem I've had out of an Asus board.

I just got a PM from the AMD forum. A guy with the same A8NSLI/AMD64(4000+) setup is also having this no POST problem. He has swapped out his Video, MB and says his PSU checks out fine. It was an Enermax 480...I sent him one asking if his system shut down like mine did...and if his PSU was a 20 or 24 pin.

newegg has received my CPU, a new one should be in my hands by next week if all goes well.

CPU came in today, no change. The MB is packed and ready to go back. I'll update when that comes in.

Thread Information