Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Any Good....?

Default Any Good....?

guys i was just wondering do you think this is a good processor for playing games:

Intel Pentium 4 2.8GHz 533fsb 1MB L2 Cache

Thanks in Advance.

Eliot Greaves.

Default Re: Any Good....?

Get a 800MHz FSB model with HT enabled if you must get a P4.

Quote Originally Posted by cripple
    guys i was just wondering do you think this is a good processor for playing games:

Thanks in Advance.

Eliot Greaves.

As far as I know the game with the highest manufactures RECOMMENDED CPU speed today is Brothers In Arms at a P4 2.5GHz unless something higher has surfaced in the last couple of weeks. You should be fine with that CPU for anything out there today. A P4 2.5 GHz should work fine at the highest settings for everything today as long as all the other hardware and software on your system can handle its part. Just keep in mind that bigger games with higher specs are sure to come soon so the faster the better off you will be ofcoarse.

I agree with Spongebob, the P4 2.8 will be fine for any game out there today. You could easily OC to at least 3.2, if not higher, with adequate cooling and supporting hardware.
    Invest in a GPU, even a 6800GT would not be overkill. 1 gig of RAM would be the minimal for the higher res/texture settings of the latest games. Get low latency if at all possible, I've seen reviews where they gained at least ~10fps by going from the slowest, to fastest RAM timings.

But AMD gives much better gaming performance per buck than Intel any day.

The recommended system requirements are what you'll want if you want a game to be comfortably playable at fairly low settings. They don't mean much.

Quote Originally Posted by Cripple

No. I'd rather have an Athlon XP, and that's a dying archetecture. As Wayout said, if you must have a P4, at least get an 800MHz FSB one. If not, go with any Athlon 64 over that. That particular prcoessor costs more and performs worse than Athlon 64s, and it's on a dying architecture.

Thread Information