Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: FSB Operating at below spec?

Question FSB Operating at below spec?

Hello all. This is my first thread here so please forgive me if I have not followed exact protocol...

My system:
    Pentium 4 3.0E 800Mhz FSB Prescott 478
    Asus P4P800Deluxe
    1.5 Gig DDR 400 RAM in matched pairs
    ULTRA X-Connect 500 WATT PSU
    Cheiftec Dragon Case with 5 case fans
    Zalman CNPS7000B-Cu P4 cooler
    Terratec 24/96 Sound Card
    Radeon 9800 Dual head graphics card
    3 IDE HDs, 1 CDRW
    Currently overclocked 10% to 3.3Ghtz

I noticed at BIOS startup that the FSB is only running at 400Mghtz. I know the Prescott is 800 and the board supports 800, and I can't find any BIOS settings to change the frequency of the FSB. The screen that flashes the 400Mghtz info comes up as the very first thing I see upon bootup. So I guess my questions are: A: Is the fact that I'm overclocking lowering the FSB frequency, and B: it seems that the FSB frequency is being displayed before the BIOS is even being loaded so maybe the overclocking isn't even relevant. I guess I just don't really understand what it means that the FSB is running at 400 Mghtz. I assume that 800 is better??? Anyway, any advice is much appreciated.

Thanks, T Aralius

Default Re: FSB Operating at below spec?

Are you sure it's the FSB and not the RAM speed (which should be 400MHz DDR)?

OK, here are the values according to ClockGen:
    CPU - 3.299.69 (overclocked 3.0)
    FSB - 219.98
    Memory - 146.56
    AGP - 66.67
    PCI - 33.33

Admittedly, I don't really know what it all means. I know the CPU freq is a product of FSB, but that's about all I know. Can the RAM freq really be only 146????

Thanks for responding, Yawgm0th.
    Pentium 4 3.0E (800Mhz FSB) Prescott
    Asus P4P800Deluxe
    1.5 Gig DDR 400 RAM
    Cheiftec Dragon Case
    4 Silenx 80mm Fans (thermocouple)
    Terratec 24/96
    Radeon 9800 Dual head
    3 IDE HDs, 1 CDRW

The FSB is actually 4 x that 218, so that should be right.

However, the RAM speed doesn't seem right. Look around the BIOS for an option to change the FSB:RAM divider. The RAM speed is directly affected by the CPU speed, so you'll need to find a divider that gets it as close to 200MHz as possible. Right now the RAM is at 293MHz DDR, which is well below what it should be.

I'm having a similar problem. My ram is ddr2700 at 333MHz. My cpu is a AMD Athalon XP 2800+ (Barton). Also 333 MHz. My board is an Asus A7N8X-Deluxe. Also 333MHz which can be set to 400 MHz in the newest revision I think. Now the problem I have is my board is only letting me clock at 200 MHz max. When I have it clocked at that it becomes unstable and crashes a lot. I have rev. 1.04. I'm not sure if I can upgrade it to a later revision and it's way out of the warranty. Any suggestions on my part? Or just get a new board that supports socket a?

200Mhz or 200MHz DDR? At 200MHz, or 400MHz DDR, that's a huge OC on RAM that won't work with anything but high-quality PC2700. The CPU wouldn't handle it without some increased voltage either. The RAM and CPU FSB should both be at 166MHz, or 333Mhz effective.

If you're talking about 100MHz, or 200MHz DDR, then something is very wrong. You could try increasing voltages for the RAM, and possibly CPU and chipset as well, but it would sound like there's a serious problem with something if that were the case.

I understand the RAM functionality with DDR (166 = 333). That's totally ok with me. It's cheap-as-free ram anyways. My problem is the CPU. It's not giving me and option to clock it at 333MHz. Only 166 and 200. Since it's not DDR. I can change the performance settings to User Defined and get it up to 300MHz and set the Mem to a percentage of that. 50% will yeild 150 (300ddr) MHz etc... I just don't understand why I can't use 333Mhz and set the multiplier to something like 6 or 6.5. If I'm totally wrong on that, like if the cpu reads 166 it's actually running at 333 please let me know. I've just touched down with bios settings and the like. All your help (and patience) is appreciated :)

OK, thanks Yawg... Asus supplies an auto-overclocking setting in BIOS. With it on full auto at 10% overclock, the RAM freq was also set autmomatically. Not sure why it chose a lower setting than the RAM could handle, but I set it to 400 Mghtz (no hidden dividers, just plain ol' Mghtz) and now my values are in ClockGen are:
    CPU - 3.299.69
    FSB - 219.98
    Memory - 219.98

That sounds about right, no?

Thanks again, Yawg. I appreciate the help.

-T
    Pentium 4 3.0E (800Mhz FSB) Prescott
    Asus P4P800Deluxe
    1.5 Gig DDR 400 RAM
    Cheiftec Dragon Case
    4 Silenx 80mm Fans (thermocouple)
    Terratec 24/96
    Radeon 9800 Dual head
    3 IDE HDs, 1 CDRW

Quote Originally Posted by eat@joes
    I understand the RAM functionality with DDR (166 = 333). That's totally ok with me. It's cheap-as-free ram anyways. My problem is the CPU. It's not giving me and option to clock it at 333MHz. Only 166 and 200. Since it's not DDR. I can change the performance settings to User Defined and get it up to 300MHz and set the Mem to a percentage of that. 50% will yeild 150 (300ddr) MHz etc... I just don't understand why I can't use 333Mhz and set the multiplier to something like 6 or 6.5. If I'm totally wrong on that, like if the cpu reads 166 it's actually running at 333 please let me know. I've just touched down with bios settings and the like. All your help (and patience) is appreciated :)
    For the purposes of this conversation, the CPU FSB works precisely the same way as DDR. An Athlon XP has a bi-directional FSB, meaning you take the frequency and multiply it by 2 for the "effective" speed, just as with DDR. For example, under CPU-Z, my CPU will show 200MHz FSB and 400Mhz Bus Speed. So unless yours is showing something like 88MHz FSB and 166MHz bus speed, as opposed to 166MHz FSB and 333MHz bus speed, it's fine.
    If we were talking about Pentium 4s, it would be a quad-directional FSB. So a 200MHz FSB on a P4 will yeild an effective bus speed of 800MHz.
    Quote Originally Posted by taralius
    OK, thanks Yawg... Asus supplies an auto-overclocking setting in BIOS. With it on full auto at 10% overclock, the RAM freq was also set autmomatically. Not sure why it chose a lower setting than the RAM could handle, but I set it to 400 Mghtz (no hidden dividers, just plain ol' Mghtz) and now my values are in ClockGen are:
    CPU - 3.299.69
    FSB - 219.98
    Memory - 219.98

That sounds about right, no?

Thanks again, Yawg. I appreciate the help.

-T
    Looks right, although I'm almost suprised your RAM can handle that much. But if it can, great.

Yawgm0th = the man

thanks.

Thread Information