Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Pentium D worth it?

Default Re: New Pentium D worth it?

thanks so much!!

and if u have the AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz, what are the choices for motherborad; Ram and Graphic Card (Say, choose between 6800 256mb and 7800 256mb)? does AMD Athlon 64 4000+, 2.4 GHz better than AMD Athlon 64 2X 3800+?

i really need a advise from u!!!
    thanks for the respond!!!
    Last edited by hth0923; 08-15-2005 at 07:45 PM.

The motherboard choice depends on if you are overclocking, feutures you want and your budget. If you were overclocking I would pick something like a DFI NF4 Ultra-D. However if you were overclocking I wouldn't get the 4000+. I would bump down to a 3700+, or even a 3000+ if it makes room in your budget for things that will be more benefitial.

For RAM, again it depends on your budget. However I generally always recommend cheap value RAM. I see no reason to buy expensive "performance" RAM if the money can be spent on a better video card or more RAM that would make a larger difference in performance. With a high-end system I would go with 2GB though. Games like BF2 and F.E.A.R. benefit a lot from more then 1GB. Crucial value RAM overclocks well for a reasonable choice, so that would be my pick.

For the video card, unless you play at least at 1600x1200 I wouldn't recommend getting a 7800GT. So if you don't play at those resolutions a 6800GT would be good.

The X2 line of CPU's are dual-cores which means the processors have two separate cores that work just like two separate processors. Dual-core processors don't really offer any performance increases in current single-threaded apps, and they won't until more multi-threaded applications are rewritten. An X2 will basically perform the same as a regular A64 of the same clock speed in single-threaded applications, so the A64 4000+ will be slightly faster. With an X2 your computing experience will overall be smoother though. If you multitask, you will benefit a lot from an X2. With a dual-core processor allows you to run two single-threaded tasks simultaneously with little to no performance loss. So you could be playing a game while compiling code. Also like I said before multi-threaded applications such as 3DS Max will see gains from using a dual-core CPU. Some new games are being made with dual-core in mind too.

Really if I could afford an X2, I would grab it.

I still run a Athlon 2800+ Barton! Compared to my Athlon64 3000 Venice, a lot of the times it's hard to tell a difference. I encode video, edit DVDs, edit photos, edit sound files, manage a database, run 2 servers, and play games. The only boost I get from the 64 is in encoding, everything else is still about the same. Until you actually have a true 64 bit OS and true 64 bit software, you won't notice a huge difference. The dual core will obviously help, but your software also needs to be able to take advantage of that. If I'm wrong please correct me.

A 3000 and a 4000 are completely different things. Regardless, you're probably limited more by your video card or RAM than the processor. I run a 2.2GHz Barton with a 6800GT and 768MB of RAM. In Battlefield 2, my RAM is the major limiting factor. If I turn Folding@Home off, I can almost take the limitation of my RAM and put it where it belongs -- the video card. In Doom 3, it's my video card (big surprise here). I haven't even tried Half-Life 2 or CSS, but it'll probably max settings at 1280x1024, maybe even at 1600x1200. In the FEAR SP demo, it's a bit all three, but more RAM and video card than processor. If you're talking about gaming, the high-end Bartons are still great, so yes it may seem like your Athlon 64 does little over your 2800.

With the exception of the encoding and maybe servers, depending on what you mean by server, none of those applications will really use the extra power of an Athlon 64. Besides, a 3000 has a pretty low clock speed, so it's quite comparable to a high-end Barton in many areas. If I could get to 2.4GHz, I could beat it in most applications.

But an X2 would be a huge gain. A dual-core processor with a bunch of RAM can do some amazing things. Imagine beating your Venice in video encoding while playing a game at the same time.

That would be sweet. I actually do want to take game footage and live recording while simultaneously encoding so I don't have to mess around with them later and take up huge amounts of space. Maybe a dual core would be a good investment in the future for myself.

I will never part with my Barton.

Quote Originally Posted by eat@joes
    I will never part with my Barton.
    Ten years from now when it can't run any games or the two most recent versions of Windows, you might change your mind. Granted, it'll still be an excellent web or file server, but you won't think so highly of it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information