Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Pentium D worth it?

1. Question New Pentium D worth it?

I just heard about the new Pentium D processor. Is is worth the money to upgrade?

Default Re: New Pentium D worth it?

Upgrade from what? Probably not to a Pentium D anyway, depending on your budget and what you'll be doing.

If you do upgrade to one you will also need a new mainboard based on Intel's latest 945P or 955X chipsets or nVIDIA's nForce4ie chipset to support its use.

4. Default Re: New Pentium D worth it?

I've got a p4 at 2.4 (stock dell). My budget is unlimited.

It's worth it to upgrade, depending on what you'll be doing with it, but not to a Pentium D. The term "unlimited budget" immediately excludes Intel unless the computer has a very specific application in mind.

I I don't want to get into AMD/Intel wars but don't immediatly rule out an intel processor...:wink:

Right now, i believe...intel isn't doing soo good..i would go with amd.

Quote Originally Posted by Bageland2000
    I I don't want to get into AMD/Intel wars but don't immediatly rule out an intel processor...:wink:
    When the term unlimited budget comes into play, I do immediately rule out Intel processors. Even the top-of-the-line EE simply doesn't compare to the X2 4800. It only wins in a few applications, and it's to the point where it's about an overall tie in video coding, if not an AMD win. AMD wins in almost every other catagory at this price range, and it simply isn't feasible to get any Intel processor if you have an unlimited budget.

If we're talking budget, then Pentium D isn't doing too bad right now. With the current low-end Pentium Ds being about half the price of AMD's cheapest dual-core, Intel is beating AMD in the mid-range general usage market. AMD single-core CPUs will still beat the Pentium Ds in a lot of things, but if gaming isn't going to be done at all, the Pentium Ds are very attractive for cheaper systems. It's just about the first good Intel desktop CPU since the days of Northwoods and Bartons.

hi, Yawgm0th

So, if u wanna change a processor, what is ur chioce that the range between Gaming and Video encoding?

The Athlon 64 X2 3800 is looking pretty good right now, since it's in the same price range as the lowest Pentium D. But any Athlon 64 X2 would be best for a machine used for gaming and video encoding.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information