Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Dual cores???

Question Dual cores???

hey every1,

im buying a new computer. and im looking at AMD athlon 64 - 3500+ or mybe 3700+ or higher. i mainly juz wanna know wat dual cores are and how much beta they are and if they are worth their money.

non dual 3800+ = $465 au
    dual core 3800+ = $510 au

thx
    Last edited by free_park26; 10-04-2005 at 05:33 PM.

Default Re: Dual cores???

Dual-core basically means that it's two seperate processors placed on one die. It's like having a multi-processor machine, but not nearly as expensive. It helps a great deal with any sort of multitasking. For you, I'd say spend the extra money to get the Athlon 64 X2 3800. It's certainly worth it to get a dual-core processor.

I'll second that.

now comes the question ' do i need it?'. i mainly play games (good games) and do school work. i do a major upgrade bout every 3 years (juz little stuff in between). do u think ther will be any need for dual cores in the next couple of years???? and also do u think they will come down heaps in the next couple of months??? also wat do u have???? and what do u think about AMD

thx again!
    Last edited by free_park26; 10-05-2005 at 02:34 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by free_park26
    now comes the question ' do i need it?'. i mainly play games (good games) and do school work. i do a major upgrade bout every 3 years (juz little stuff in between).
    You don't need it, but then you don't really need any upgrade at all. If you only upgrade every 3 years, then you'll certainly want to go with dual-core, because single-core processors will be nearing obsolescence.

do u think ther will be any need for dual cores in the next couple of years????
    Yes. Any multitasking will benefit from it now and in the future, and future applications will be programmed in a way that allows them to take advantage of dual-core processors.

and also do u think they will come down heaps in the next couple of months???
    Maybe a little, but not in heaps.

also wat do u have????
    An Athlon XP 2400 Mobile overclocked to 2.1Ghz. Like I said, you don't need and upgrade or dual-core. A 1Ghz Athlon is enough to make any modern game playable, and anything capable of running Windows 2000 is enough for school work.

and what do u think about AMD
    At this point in time, it's the only choice that's even worth considering.

Thread Information