Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: AMD versus Intel CPU's

Default AMD versus Intel CPU's

I'm not seeking an opinion on which is better but would like to know if anyone has a link to maybe a graph chart that compares the two manufactures CPU's in tests. For example which AMD CPU is equal to a 3GHZ P4 CPU in performance tests and so on.

Default Re: AMD versus Intel CPU's

Here are links to a few tests from my personal favorite hardware site:
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/sho...spx?i=2484&p=5
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2456
    http://anandtech.com/cpuchipsets/showdoc.aspx?i=2429

And from some others:
    http://www.sudhian.com/showdocs.cfm?aid=672
    http://hothardware.com/viewarticle.cfm?articleid=682
    http://www.extremetech.com/article2/...1813757,00.asp

There are a few other sites you can try, as well. Off the top of my head, [H]ard OCP and xbitlabs come to mind as two of the better sites. Tweaktown might even have a review or two, but generally the Anandtech ones are the best simply because of how many CPUs they test and how many tests they do. You should learn all you need from those Anandtech articles I linked to.

In any case, you'll find that AMD processors are faster and cooler than their Intel price counterparts in pretty much every area (even video encoding). Intel still has a couple of options for low-end dual core that AMD doesn't, but other than that AMD is superior at every price range.

Thanks for the links, I'm pretty sure I'm sticking in an AMD CPU in my new system, right now I have P4 LGA 530 3GHZ CPU's in my systems and would like an AMD CPU that is superiour to those but still affordable. Gaming is the main goal but I'd like it to outshine them (P4's) in all the other fields also.

I'd say go with one of the mid-range daul-core Athlon 64s or get the X2 3800 and overclock it. You'll beat the hell out of a P4 3.0GHz in gaming, and any multithreaded applications or multitasking you do will recieve a huge bonus.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I'd say go with one of the mid-range daul-core Athlon 64s or get the X2 3800 and overclock it. You'll beat the hell out of a P4 3.0GHz in gaming, and any multithreaded applications or multitasking you do will recieve a huge bonus.

I read somewhere (pretty sure a recent P.C. magazine) that the X2's are alot slower than the 64s for gaming. I'd look up where I found that info but I have to go, so maybe I'll find it later.

They are slower, but not "a lot." The second core does absolutely nothing for games unless you want to have programs running in the background. So, a system running no intensive background applications with an Athlon 64 X2 3800 is going to perform very similarly to an identical system with an Athlon 64 3000. Compare the clock speed and cache of the Athlon 64 X2 to the single-core Athlon 64, and you've found about what it will equal in terms of gaming performance.

After doing a little price comparing at Pricewatch, I figure the Athlon 64 3800 is the best buy since the next step up (4000) jumps up about $100US.
    There are 2 models though. Theres one that is 90nm rev and one that is not. Whats the difference?

Price comparing on the Intel CPU's, I could get a P4 650 3.4GHZ LGA 775 800FSB with 2MB cache 64bit for about the same price. I'm guessing that AMD CPU will run circles around it. Right?

Right, especially in gaming.

You might be looking at the 3800 and the 3800 X2, the latter being dual-core. Otherwise, you're just looking at two different core revisions but the same processor rating. Smaller cores (lower nm, e.g. 90nm instead of 130nm) almost always overclock better and run cooler. In some cases, they have other advantages, such as SSE3 (which wasn't featured in early Athlon 64s but is now).

If you go single core, go with the 3700+ San Diego. In my experience, they overclock better than the Venice and are better for gaming. I had a 3200+ Venice that would overclock to 2.86GHz (which is what a 3800+ Venice will probably overclock to as well) and the 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz gave me better real world results and performance. And at completely stock speeds, that extra L2 cache in the San Diego (1MB vs 512KB) makes a big difference. Plus the 3700+ is much cheaper than that 3800+ Venice by more than $50. And the only Intel CPU that is worth anything is the Dothan Mobile CPU. P4s are junk.
    Last edited by casecutter; 11-09-2005 at 11:32 AM.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Quote Originally Posted by casecutter
    If you go single core, go with the 3700+ San Diego. In my experience, they overclock better than the Venice and are better for gaming. I had a 3200+ Venice that would overclock to 2.86GHz (which is what a 3800+ Venice will probably overclock to as well) and the 3700+ San Diego @ 2.7GHz gave me better real world results and performance. And at completely stock speeds, that extra L2 cache in the San Diego (1MB vs 512KB) makes a big difference. Plus the 3700+ is much cheaper than that 3800+ Venice by more than $50. And the only Intel CPU that is worth anything is the Dothan Mobile CPU. P4s are junk.

The 3700+ san Diego is $5 more than the
    AMD Athlon 64 3800+ Processor 512K L2 Cache L1 Cache 128KB OEM 939Pin CPU Socket 939 (512K 90nm 939pin Rev. E Avail Newcastle Clawhammer Venice).

You say the 3700+ SD a better way to go becuase it overclocks better?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information