Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Going to build new computer

Talking Going to build new computer

Im planning on building my own computer (my first computer i ever will completely build by myself) and dont know what processor to choose so that i know what type of motherboard to get, I dont have what you would call a "High Budget" so it doesnt have to be the BEST out there but i want it to be faster than an athlon +2400,any suggestions?

Default Re: Going to build new computer

What kind of budget do you have? What will the computer be used for?

my budget on just a cpu would be $120.00
    i would be using this computer for some gaming, microsoft visual studio 2003, making dvd's, a little bit of everything really.

Can't do much on that budget... Besides, why would you put the budget on just the CPU?

well, i know that most processors cost a lot more than motherboards and all of the other parts that i will need, i have about $400.00 saved up for almost everything else, what would good budget be for just the cpu? and i just priced the cpu also because i posted this in the processor forum and this thread is about processors isnt it? I dont want a really expensive processor because this is my first computer "my testing computer" haha, well furthermore and back onto the point, i want something that isnt really great but i can slowly upgrade piece by piece as i have more money saved up.

Processors don't cost that much more than motherboards. The cheapest socket 939 processor is about the same price as your average nForce 4 SLI motherboard.

Anyway, a budget of $140-$170 would be more appropriate for the processor. An Athlon 64 3000, which is temporarily sold out everywhere for some odd reason, will go for about $135-$145 after shipping and be plenty fast. Otherwise, an Athlon 64 3200 is even better and will go for about $160-$170 shipped. Depending on when you get this, you may need to go for the 3200 simply because the 3000s are gone.

Thread Information