Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Do Not Upgrade Cpu Just Yet Guys!!!

Talking Do Not Upgrade Cpu Just Yet Guys!!!

hey guys,
    im sure u all know as were all overclocking or not our single and dual core really good amd and intel deals.but the future is upon us,plz educate yourself fully were u really want your money to go withing these next few months when this monster comes out.....

http://www.tomshardware.com/2006/02/..._am2_platform/
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

Default Re: Do Not Upgrade Cpu Just Yet Guys!!!

Monster? Generally the term "monster" refers to something good, in this context. AM2 is just socket 939 with some more upgradability. When it comes out, it will just be an expensive socket 939. If you're going to wait for anything, it's Intel's Conroe. With the overclocked mobile equivelent being worse but still beating 939 and AM2, the verdict is already in on the performance king. AM2 might be nice for a mid-range or entry-level overclocked system that supports the more future-proof DDR2, but Conroe is a lot more appealing when it comes down to it.

I'm not saying it's entirely stupid to wait for AM2 and grab it, but if you're looking at a new system now a socket 939 or socket 479 (i975X) won't make you feel too bad when AM2 comes out. I certainly agree that people need to learn enough to decide whether they want to wait to ensure some upgradability, but I disagree with the idea of holding off upgrading just because AM2 is around the corner. You can't wait forever, especially if what's coming is hardly worth waiting for.

If anything, the THG article's concluding paragraph is good advice.

The Socket AM2 is a generation change that is becoming increasingly necessary for the sake of supporting memory that will be mainstream in mid-2006 and into 2007. It won't change the performance landscape by much, unless AMD decides to make some fundamental changes to the architecture such as upgrading the FX to 4 MB cache. However, it will also be the basis for the upcoming 65 nm processors that are due at the end of this year. That is when things are going to heat up; the shootout between Intel's Conroe desktop processor and AMD's shrunk Athlons will be as hot as the Gigahertz battle in 2000.

Talking Re: Do Not Upgrade Cpu Just Yet Guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Monster? Generally the term "monster" refers to something good, in this context. AM2 is just socket 939 with some more upgradability. When it comes out, it will just be an expensive socket 939. If you're going to wait for anything, it's Intel's Conroe. With the overclocked mobile equivelent being worse but still beating 939 and AM2, the verdict is already in on the performance king. AM2 might be nice for a mid-range or entry-level overclocked system that supports the more future-proof DDR2, but Conroe is a lot more appealing when it comes down to it.

I'm not saying it's entirely stupid to wait for AM2 and grab it, but if you're looking at a new system now a socket 939 or socket 479 (i975X) won't make you feel too bad when AM2 comes out. I certainly agree that people need to learn enough to decide whether they want to wait to ensure some upgradability, but I disagree with the idea of holding off upgrading just because AM2 is around the corner. You can't wait forever, especially if what's coming is hardly worth waiting for.

If anything, the THG article's concluding paragraph is good advice.
    can u say overclocks with ddr2 like amd64 4gig?u missed gen1(754)gen2(939,940)and gen3 will own ...watch and see
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

I didn't "miss" any of the sockets (and socket 940 predates socket 754, for those who are paying attention), and it's irrelevent. That was when Intel was using the relatively crappy Pentium 4s. Sorry, but right now AMD is not winning with AM2.

Talking Re: Do Not Upgrade Cpu Just Yet Guys!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    I didn't "miss" any of the sockets (and socket 940 predates socket 754, for those who are paying attention), and it's irrelevent. That was when Intel was using the relatively crappy Pentium 4s. Sorry, but right now AMD is not winning with AM2.
    i hope there not winning yet,there at the preorder stage in usa,lol?http://www.xpcgear.com/amdam2cpu.html .its not even out yet!!!rofl,give ppl like me a chance to get 1 and see first heh.conroe looks nice but amd is geared more for gaming period,this is fact and known to all in the cpu industry.intel has the crown for divx,media encoding,ripping cds etc(stuff i dont care about).gaming is my fun when im done work and if intel takes the gaming crown performance,then guess what i will go with intel.amd has the gaming crown so im with amd this sec.. my p4 3.0ht,single 74 gig raptor,1 gig crucial ballistics cas 2-2-2-5,9800pro box is probaly faster then your main rig and i can say its my 3rd box and it plays q3 nice,et,anything else its old stuff and wont run newer stuff period they way i want it to be played.if 1024x768 is your thing settings low-med-hi then thats cool,we have differnt levels of acceptable.so i really cant speak to much about this comparison stuff to you cause your hardware is not the same as mine or even equal to any of my boxes.theres no doubt that conroe and amd2 will both own.so which 1 are u getting yawg???conroe i imagine and what model are u buying yawg?
    Last edited by bf2nut; 05-24-2006 at 10:05 PM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled

AMD will not be winning after retail versions of AM2 boards and CPU are available. A Core Duo (Yonah) can currently be placed on several nice desktop boards and overclocked well past 3GHz on stock cooling with loads around 30C, and performs better clock-for-clock than AM2 and socket 939. I'm not even talking about Conroe yet, which still has a significant amount of time before retail.

As for which will buy, I don't know. I'll probably just replace my current CPU (A64 3000@2.5GHz) with an Opty 170 and bring it to 2.8-3.0GHz this summer. I'd say six to nine months from then I'll pick whoever is winning in the bang-for-buck area (which is still AMD and may be for some time after Conroe comes out, at least at the entry level). For people considering a new system in the near future, though, I'm recommending Core Duo (Yonah and Merom) and Core 2 Duo (Conroe).

As for performance, I'd disagree that Intel is the king in any area if you don't count overclocked Core Duos (which are the current kings). Athlon 64s will beat even the P4 EE in just about anything, even video encoding. Tom's hardware seems to show otherwise in a lot of articles, but benchmarks I would consider less biased almost always show Athlon 64s winning in everything.

Thread Information