Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 17

Thread: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200




  1. #1
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    Looking for suggestions on what desktop CPU to get someone that has around $200 US for a CPU. It'll be used for both video gaming and video editing.

  2. #2

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    you can get a amd 64 3200 for around 150 for socket 939 and its pritty wquick

  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    Location
    Dearborn
    Posts
    312

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    amd athlon 64 3500+ grate
    or the 3700+ san diago awsowem and oces grate though its 235 i would recommend it but if you can't the 3500+ is the runner up
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (oc to 2.8ghz FX57+ speeds)(fsb is 266)
    ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    1gb ddr400 Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) timings 215mhz (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800gs 256mb agp, with ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
    ATX Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Seagate sata 80gb harddrive
    Maxtor pata 80gb harddrive
    500watt Rosewill powersupply
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
    Custom Water cooling dual 120mm raddiator with a PolarFLO cpu block
    __________________________________________________ _______________

  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr 2004
    Location
    Australia
    Posts
    1,525

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    I'd suggest you look at the Pentium D930 as it's about that price and as it's a dual core it'll do your video editing much faster than those single core alternatives (it's a shame that cheapest dual core Athlon is about $100us dearer) but it will be a little slower at games than those other CPU's.

  5. #5
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    You can't just price a CPU alone, because motherboard prices vary greatly based on socket and what you want to do. For example, the Core Duo T2300 is just over $200 and once overclocked it's better than anything else currently available. However, you'll need to spend over $250 for just a decent overclocking motherboard. A 3800 X2 is just under $300, but you can get a good overclocking socket 939 motherboard for under $100.

    So that's $360-$420 for an X2 3800, but $450-$550 for a T2300. See my point? It's hard to give you a recommendation on just a processor if we don't have an overall CPU/Board price or knowledge of whether the system will be overclocked or not.

  6. #6
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    The person that wants this system found a used AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 CPU for $150, so I think we will build it around that.
    Now what mainboard should we get for it?

    He's also been looking at 19" LCD monitor around the $200 range. Anyone have some suggestions, I've kinda fallen behind on some of this stuff lately so I'm suggesting sumething with a low response time and a good contrast ratio. Am I aiming in the right direction?

    I think overclocking will happen but nothing too severe Yawg. I'm thinking he's not going to spend alot on cooling but I'm aiming for a little higher end system ram to make overclocking atleast possible.
    Last edited by Spongebob; 05-31-2006 at 10:16 AM.

  7. #7
    Join Date
    Nov 2003
    Location
    Minnesota, United States
    Posts
    4,543

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    The person that wants this system found a used AMD Athlon 64 X2 3800 CPU for $150, so I think we will build it around that.
    Now what mainboard should we get for it?
    The ASUS A8N5X and DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity are two great motherboards that will overclock as far as you need to and help keep the price down. The DFI SLI-Infinity is also a good choice if you want to be able to have SLI in the future, but I'd probably stick with one of the other two.

    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    He's also been looking at 19" LCD monitor around the $200 range. Anyone have some suggestions, I've kinda fallen behind on some of this stuff lately so I'm suggesting sumething with a low response time and a good contrast ratio. Am I aiming in the right direction?
    The rated response times, contrast rations, and anything of the sort on an LCD mean almost nothing. Read a couple professional reviews and see what users think before buying an LCD. Also, in that price range and that size, you'll probably want to go with a used or refurbished monitor. I'm not saying you can't get a new, decent 19'' LCD for under $200, but you probably can't get a good one.


    Quote Originally Posted by Spongebob
    I think overclocking will happen but nothing too severe Yawg. I'm thinking he's not going to spend alot on cooling but I'm aiming for a little higher end system ram to make overclocking atleast possible.
    Hell, stock cooling will get you pretty far, even with an X2. If you make sure to get a decent power supply and maybe spend $30-40 on a Thermalright XP-90 and fan, you'll probably take that thing pretty far without too much effort. I wouldn't worry too much about RAM overclocking. Get something that can handle being run above 200MHz, but don't go crazy. Running high-speed RAM does very little for Athlon 64s.

  8. #8
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Location
    Singapore
    Posts
    21

    Talking Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    Quote Originally Posted by wayout44
    I'd suggest you look at the Pentium D930 as it's about that price and as it's a dual core it'll do your video editing much faster than those single core alternatives (it's a shame that cheapest dual core Athlon is about $100us dearer) but it will be a little slower at games than those other CPU's.
    Yes, I am thinking of getting this same CPU for my 955chipset Foxconn motherboard. Price of CPU are getting cheaper because of the USDlrs fluctuation. Am using this for rendering and video editing.
    Intel Pentium Core2Duo E6750 2.33.00GHz | BIOSTAR TP35D2-A7 P35 | XPertVision GeForce 8600GTS 256MB DDR| Seagate Cheetah 37GB SCSI 10000RPM | Hitachi 320GB SATA | Seagate Tape Drive STT20000A | PATRIOT 4GB 800DDR2 | LG DVD16XReWriter | Motorola SURFboard CableModem | PanaScope SP900 | Intel PRO/1000 CT Network | CoolerMaster | Enermax | WinXP PRO SP2

    "I once tried sniffing coke, but the ice cube got stuck in my nose"

  9. #9
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Location
    British Columbia, Canada
    Posts
    870

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    Or you can get an 805 and OC the crap out of it, if you are into that kind of thing.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

    Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

  10. #10
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Location
    USA
    Posts
    925

    Default Re: Whats the best desktop CPU for around $200

    Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    The ASUS A8N5X and DFI nF4 Ultra-Infinity are two great motherboards that will overclock as far as you need to and help keep the price down. The DFI SLI-Infinity is also a good choice if you want to be able to have SLI in the future, but I'd probably stick with one of the other two.
    Also, in that price range and that size, you'll probably want to go with a used or refurbished monitor. I'm not saying you can't get a new, decent 19'' LCD for under $200, but you probably can't get a good one.
    Running high-speed RAM does very little for Athlon 64s.
    Thanks, sounds like great choices for mainboards. Can you give me an example of what you'd call a good LCD monitor? What system ram should we order from Newegg? I think he wants 2GBs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 1 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 1 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •