Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: opteron killer deals-$50\$70 off hurry til sold out

Default Re: opteron killer deals-$50\$70 off hurry til sold out

Problem is, LCD panels still don't display colors as well as CRTs (claim otherwise all you want, but it's not up for debate; this is a fact of the technology), and more relevently, they are not capable of displaying a game at more than 60FPS. IMO, this isn't a problem for most gamers or in most games, but there are still valid reasons to like CRTs over LCDs. In a stationary environment without space issues, it's no contest unless you need widescreen for some reason. CRTs are cheaper, better, faster.

All that said, I have no problem using a high-quality LCD over a CRT. I don't run most games over 60FPS and a good LCD is barely distinguishable from a CRT. In fact I enjoy widescreen gaming quite a bit. I plan on making my next purchase an LCD simply for the mobility. A 19'' CRT is kick ass, but a decent LCD gets the job done and I can take it places.

Quote Originally Posted by Casecutter
    The Dell 24" Widescreen is 1920X1200. LCD's have brighter crisper colors, but CRT's still have better blacks and dark colors. No clear winner, mostly a matter of preference. If you played BF2 on a widescreen you'd never go back to a CRT. The range of view is much greater side to side and ghosting is not an issue with almost all LCD's built in the last 6 months since they all seem to have 8ms or better response times.
    That would be a really valid point if BF2 supported widescreen. Half-Life 2 would be a better game to use in this context. Widescreen HL2 is incredible. I prefer 1440x900 over 1600x1200 any day of the week. However, lots of game don't support widescreen without tweaks or at all (BF2 will just stretch the image if you manually edit config files).
    Last edited by Yawgm0th; 07-23-2006 at 11:46 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Yawgm0th
    Problem is, LCD panels still don't display colors as well as CRTs (claim otherwise all you want, but it's not up for debate; this is a fact of the technology), and more relevently, they are not capable of displaying a game at more than 60FPS.
    Actually, it is up for debate. Technologies aside, the current crop of LCD displays do fine with colors and provide a crisper image than even small DPI format CRT monitors, especially at higher resolutions (when CRT displays tend to get blurry).

As for the inability to display over 60FPS, I guess FRAPS and the in-game FPS displays are all wrong? I show well over 60FPS in several titles I play using both methods noted above. Also keep in mind that V-Sync is disabled (as always).
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

FRAPS only shows what your video card is outputting, it has no connection to your monitor. As far as I understand the LCD equilivilant to "refresh rates" are locked at 60Hz.
    My Current Rigs:
    Antec P180, OCZ Powerstream 520W, DFI nF4 SLI-DR Expert, AMD X2 4400 w/XP120(2.6GHz@1.45v), 2x1GB OCZ Platnium PC3200, BFG 7900GT@592/800(1.6), WD 250GB SATA, Maxtor 120GB IDE, LG DVD/CD Combo(black), Sony DRU-810 DL DVD Burner(black)
    3DMark01:25379, 3DMark03:19746
    3DMark05:9294, 3DMark06:5340

Raidmax Cobra, Fortron PN-400W, ASUS A8N-E(nF4 Ultra), X2 3800 w/AMD heatpipe cooler, 2x 512MB Crucial Balistix, ATI X300, WD 250GB IDE, Samsung 16x DVD/RW

I had a 19" ACER Widescreen LCD and I miss it dearly compared to this 21" CRT. I played ALOT of HL2 on it and I do understand what you mean by native widescreen support. I was assuming BF2 has either a hack or some form of widescreen support, but I never actually looked into it. 90%+ of the games I play are native widescreen (mostly driving games) so I wish I still had that LCD. I am hoping against hope to get that 24" Dell 2407W by years end but it depends on many things. As for color, it depends GREATLY on which CRT you run. My current 21" has crappy color compared to that LCD I had. The 17" CRT on my wife's PC is beyond vibrant and brilliant, I wish my CRT has that color. Either way, 60FPS is definitely enough for my tastes and that is including driving games which demand a constant high FPS for any realism at all.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Hey casecutter what type of racing games do you play?
    __________________________________________________ ________________________________________
    Zach
    AMD Athlon64 3700+ san diego 2.2ghz (oc to 2.8ghz FX57+ speeds)(fsb is 266)
    ASUS A8V Socket 939 VIA K8T800 Pro
    1gb ddr400 Kingston HyperX (2-3-2-6) timings 215mhz (dual-channel)
    BFG 6800gs 256mb agp, with ARCTIC COOLING AVC-NV5R3 NV Silencer Rev.3
    ATX Thermaltake Tsunami Dream
    Seagate sata 80gb harddrive
    Maxtor pata 80gb harddrive
    500watt Rosewill powersupply
    Sound Blaster Live 24-bit
    Custom Water cooling dual 120mm raddiator with a PolarFLO cpu block
    __________________________________________________ _______________

Mostly Colin McRae Rally 2005. I also like Live For Speed, TOCA 2 and Need For Speed Most Wanted (when I want arcade style gaming). Codemasters makes the best overall game engine while Live For Speed has incredibly realistic driving physics. NFS games are cool when you just want that arcade feel. There is a new game called Colin McRae Dirt that is coming out that sounds insane. The Rally games are the best IMO. I wouldn't mind getting my hands on TOCA 3 one of these days too.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Smile Re: opteron killer deals-$50\$70 off hurry til sold out

Quote Originally Posted by Darthtanion
    Actually, it is up for debate. Technologies aside, the current crop of LCD displays do fine with colors and provide a crisper image than even small DPI format CRT monitors, especially at higher resolutions (when CRT displays tend to get blurry).

As for the inability to display over 60FPS, I guess FRAPS and the in-game FPS displays are all wrong? I show well over 60FPS in several titles I play using both methods noted above. Also keep in mind that V-Sync is disabled (as always).

1. lcds are the ones that are blurry at times not crts at all period due the tube design for the sharpness and clarity that was purfected years ago with them.lcds are still working on this.ever notice words and text in lcds are fuzzy,blurry,if not then whatever i seen worlds best lcds running games and internet searching.buddy has 20.1 dell widescreen and looks like ass period.and yes the fps are slower with lcdsd with the slower resfresh rates\and joke resolutions.

2.and im running a very very hi quality crt flat cad moniter that was $650 new so its a force to be dealt with on any lcd means.

and for hi resolutions?try running 1800x1440 like me vs any lcd moniter without spending $1,000+ and still has blurry,grainy colors with a overall hollow lacking artificial feel vs a hi quality crt tube.2 tubes are worthy of this.sonys trinitron and mitisuhbishi,s diamdrton.lcds are for the cool guys to say"well it saves deskspace",lmao get a bigger desk then.

dont u ppl think i would have had thee best lcd out right now if they were worthy of gaming?im not worried about cash like most,im a gamer and HI quality crts are for gaming.money spent on crt or lcd theres no option.oled is what im waiting for,lcds never made the gaming grade period lower milli sec times who cares there still lacking period.o wait but ppl saved deskspace...lol
    Last edited by bf2nut; 07-24-2006 at 09:01 AM.
    Stacker830 Watercooled
    windows7 ultimate 64 bit!!!
    Heatkiller waterblock on intel 2500k @4.5Ghz @1.32volt
    8 gigs Gskill Ripjaw ddr3 2133 @ 1.5 volts
    Swiftech p655 pump,1\2 tygon
    13x120 sunnons on lamptron fc3 controller,
    (2)triple 120mm rads.single raptor 150(reliable)
    biostar TP67XE(this mobo is amazing)
    xfi-xtrememusic,klipsch ultras 5.1/500 watt amp,
    sen hd-595s headphones,logitech stick mic
    co0lermaster-1250 watt real pro powersupply = 99ampz!
    Evga Hydro Gtx 590 on 24"Sony FW-900 at 2304x1440 80 hz = 80 solid fps 16:10 black ops!
    Hi quality CRTS are built for gaming!!!O.L.E.D is the future,not Liquid Crap Displays(lcds)!

As long as your ahppy with it, thats all well and good... but I still stick to my comments as stated earlier. LCD displays do not have any real bad sides even for a gaming machine. Granted, many have a resolution of only 1280x1024, but a majority of gamers use this resolution or lower.

As for the grainy appearance, I have only found quality LCD monitors to have clear and crisp displays. I use only digital output so that may be a contributing factor, but I can state from experience that this has not been an issue for me.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

As AMD_lover said, of course your video card can still output over 60FPS. You just can't see anything over 60FPS. In fact, you should get major image tearing over 60FPS.

I don't disagree that quality LCDs do fine, but they are simply not as good as CRTs. But there's absolutely no blurriness or lack of crispness in a decent CRT. I know you work with LCDs that you think are great (and they are), but they are not at the level of CRTs yet.

In case you're interested, there is an LCD coming out that may theoretically do away with the problems that exist in modern LCDs, leaving superior refrest rate as the last advantage of CRTs. Granted, it'll probably cost $4000 when it comes out, but it's a step in the right direction anyway.

The only lcd monitor i would ever buy would be the apple cinema dooda (i forgot the name). Its 30 freakin inches!! widescreen too! I saw it at compUSA when i was buying the new soundblaster x-fi. I drooled, I still drool when I think about it, it is so vibrant and crisp!
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread Information