Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel pentium 3Ghz processor overheating and voltage fluctuations

1. Default Intel pentium 3Ghz processor overheating and voltage fluctuations

i have a intel pentium processor with 3ghz , 512mb RAM, 915gv motherboard.it has worked fine for 1 year. since last week i hear a peculiar noise sometimes from the processor if it is running, even the task of moving the mouse, the noise syncronises with the movement of mouse.also the processor shutdowns random interwals of time after i hear that noise.iam not sure it is not a warning but i think it is some kind of electric discharge. the processor temperature stays at 57c while the room temp is around 24c if iam not doing anything. even a disk transfer to my extenal hdd makes the processor temerature jump to 70c and then it shuts down. my hard disks and ram are fine. even listening to music causes it flactaute. i stated running several tests and i found out that for file transfers of small file sizes is causing the processor temperature jump, while large files it remains at 57c. i have about 5 fans running, but i could not figure out the problem, plz help

Default Re: Intel pentium 3Ghz processor overheating and voltage fluctuations

I doubt that the processor is making the noise... it has no moving parts and operates in a silent state. The components that support the processor, however, commonly make noise. If you are hearing an elevtrical discharge, then your motherboard will be the likely culprit and I'd consider you lucky that you haven't melted down half the system components, but I've never had a mainboard do this before.

If temperature is the main issue and the sound is being associated with a fan noise, then you might check the serviceability of the case fans and the fan attached to the CPU cooler. These can wear out over time (especially the cheaper sleeve bearing models) and will need to be replaced. The noise you get (besides the common noise created by the fan blades) comes from the fact that the bearing has worn out and the lubrication has left the spindle. The friction plus dust in the air will combine to begin both corrosion and gunk buildup along the spindle.

Your thread title indicates voltage fluctuations, but your message does not. If this is an issue, then you'll likely need to replace either the PSU or the mainboard. The easiest method to check these components is to try them in another machine with known working parts. Any issues will point directly to the item being tested.

Good luck.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Also, blow out the heatsink/fan unit as there maybe some dust bunnies in there ruining airflow. I agree with Darth, gotta be something else making hte noise.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

If the fan is making the noise, it might be that your dust bunnies are not strong enough to stop the fan's movement when small file transfers are occuring, I think that the fan decreeses power for a small task but increases for a big one, the dust bunnies or whatever might only slow it down when its at full power rather than stoppping it at low power.
    "Death solves all problems; no man, no problem."
    -Joseph Stalin

Quote Originally Posted by orangutang91
    If the fan is making the noise, it might be that your dust bunnies are not strong enough to stop the fan's movement when small file transfers are occuring, I think that the fan decreeses power for a small task but increases for a big one, the dust bunnies or whatever might only slow it down when its at full power rather than stoppping it at low power.
    Fan power depends SOLELY on the cooler and is not linked to HDD activity, if its a controlled fan it would be linked to a thermal controller. If the fan stopped, the CPU would take a dump pretty quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by florencegale1820
    i have a intel pentium processor with 3ghz , 512mb RAM, 915gv motherboard.it has worked fine for 1 year. since last week i hear a peculiar noise sometimes from the processor if it is running, even the task of moving the mouse, the noise syncronises with the movement of mouse.also the processor shutdowns random interwals of time after i hear that noise.iam not sure it is not a warning but i think it is some kind of electric discharge. the processor temperature stays at 57c while the room temp is around 24c if iam not doing anything. even a disk transfer to my extenal hdd makes the processor temerature jump to 70c and then it shuts down. my hard disks and ram are fine. even listening to music causes it flactaute. i stated running several tests and i found out that for file transfers of small file sizes is causing the processor temperature jump, while large files it remains at 57c. i have about 5 fans running, but i could not figure out the problem, plz help
    i had also experienced that kind of problem before i usually change the board and experiment with some other device still the processor was the problem with that..

Thread Information