Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New Processor/Mobo/Memory, Format or Boot??

hey Guys,

i just got a new mobo and proccesor, and memory to upgrade an old computer, and i was wondering if i should format the harddrive first before installing the new stuff, or booting it up with the old files still on it...thanks alot

Mike

Beefy Guest

It's highly recommended that you format and do a fresh install of windows, because there will always be problems when changing major hardware like a motherboard without doing so. Secondly, fresh installs are fun. :)

You could always try keep your existing install of Windows, but it probably won't run as well as it should, if at all....

I would definitely go with a clean install.
    With all those new goodies, why would you want to use a filthy old installation of windows. Get a fresh, clean and ready to rock copy on that drive:D
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

do i want to do the format then install the components or install the components then format and reinstall? thanks

make sure you back up everything... format the drive in the new computer and install the new OS with all the 'new' components present

Yeah, no point in doing it piece-meal really.
    I reckon if you do run into a problem it will be something to do with the new mobo, so just as well go for broke.
    Put all the hardware together, and let 'er rip.
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

Thread Information