Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: oc: yes or no

Question oc: yes or no

Dear Forum users,
    I am a senior researcher in bioinorganic chemistry. As a part of research my group is involved in computer chemistry (quantum mechanics and molecular dynamics). So far we worked on single workstation equiped with intel P4 3.0GHz. Through the time our demands were getting bigger, and today we purchased two identical machines to make a small cluster for parallel computing:
    "MB: GIGABYTE GA-P35-DS3P
    CPU: Intel Core2Quad Q6600 2.4Ghz
    RAM: 4 x 1GB DDR2 Transcend PC800
    Optics: Pioneer 112D
    HDD: 160GB WD SATA2 8mb
    Video: Asus EN6200TC 256mb
    Power: Chieftec 550w
    Case: Chieftec CH-03P-A-OP"

I wish to kindly ask you for opinion about overclocking the system: Whats the values that I should change (any manual for oc?) or its a better to use default overclocking (5 ways inside C.I.A.2. option for this mother board)?; Is it safe for cpu, mb and memories if I overclocked system up to no more than 3.0GHz?; What would You suggest for our system which we intent to use as a small cluster build up of these two machines.
    Sorry for such a long story.

Thanks to all of you willing to help.
    Zoran

web-site: http://www.pmf.kg.ac.yu/~zmatovic/index.htm
    Last edited by zmatovic; 09-26-2007 at 12:35 AM.

Default Re: oc: yes or no

As a general rule, I stay away from overclocking any of my work machines. The primary reason is warranties. If you feel secure with possibly having the warranty voided on your machine, then go for it.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Provided that warranty issues are of no concern then I'd just raise the FSB manually to 333MHz with a 9x multiplier to give you 3.0GHz.

The next consideration would be the extra heat generated by the overclock, not knowing your particular local situation (but assuming climate control) this may or may not be an issue. At 3.0GHz this processor will run warmish (around 50-55C) using the stock cooler, so third party cooling is a consideration not to be dismissed. To monitor the cpu temp with a degree of accuracy use the Intel Termal Analysis Tool or CoreTemp (Google them).

DISCLAIMER:

This advice is given freely and is based upon first hand knowledge of the processor involved, this does not however imply any liability by the poster in the case of hardware failure, warranty voidance etc.

Good luck.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Important data + overclocking = VERY BAD IDEA

Besides, you are gonna not believe how much faster a C2Q system is compared to what you had, never mind 2 of them.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

thanks to Darthtanion, ANZAC_ELITE and casecutter for suggestions.

Certainly I'll think twice before using oc on my machines.

casecutter: r u talking about warranty, system integrity and duration of component when wrote "Important data"? or ..... will you clarify this issue please?

What can and often does happen when either you OC fails or a part fails, it will either corrupt your data on your hard drive, or because you overvolted your system something fries and takes other parts out with them. There is really no upside to overclocking considering most if not all high end machines, like the ones you are building, really offer no major speed increase even with higher clocks in real world use.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

That is fair enough casecutter.
    Thanks advising me. After all suggestion from this forum and my colleagues from computing chemistry labs I'm almost sure that will never (not at least I purchase new ones) imply oc on my cluster machines.
    What do you think about hardware config.? mb versus cpu? can 550w chieftec handle current issues for the given parts?

Enjoy the day casecutter

Thread Information