Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new system, can't install windows with internal cache enable

I've just build me a new system, after a few problems, i found out that i was only able to install windows with the cpu internal cache disabled. It works fine then but slow. When i enable the internal cache, windows can't start up and after a reboot it goes into safe mode.
    So i suppose there is something wrong with the cpu or can it be something in the bios settings, because i don't know about Dram burst lenght, queue depth, command rate. So i used the default settings for this
    can anyone help ?

I can give additional info, but just don't know what
    Soltek 75 DRV5
    AMD duron 1000
    MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4400
    256 DDR 266Mhz pc 2700
    Volcano 7+ cooler
    arctec dvd 16X40X
    Hp cd-writer plus 9300i
    samsung floppy

Pull off your heat sink and check the CPU, it may have crushed the core/cache. Actually, no, never mind - because if the cache enabling causes it to crash, it's dead.

I may be wrong, though, but that's what's happened to me before - i killed my internal cache after coming home from a LAN and finding one of the lugs snapped and the cpu hs/hsf on the case floor >_<

Hope someone else can offer advice, but i've said my opinion.
    Ph33r my L33t n3kk3d sk1llz.

A drunken man's a fool, a madman and a drowned man. The first drink makes him a fool, the second maddens him and the third drowns him. - William Shakespeare, 'The Twelfth Night'

Call me drowned.

I have only experienced this problem with L2 cache, the L2 cache chip was scorched and when it was enabled it crashed the computer (VIA MVP3 based board - cache on the board not the CPU).

So I feel it is a problem with the CPU - is it under warranty? Lack of L1 cache is nasty, makes a 1GHz Duron run like a 266MHz Celeron :hammer:
    What came first - Insanity or Society?

Thanks for the replies, but after reinstalling the processor and heatsink three times, it suddenly worked fine. Also the temp dropped from 70 idle 95 !! load and -55 :confused: case to 45 idle 50 load and 25 case
    So i guess the temp sensors gave wrong readings to (or the cpu would already be fried:laugh:
    Soltek 75 DRV5
    AMD duron 1000
    MSI GeForce 4 Ti 4400
    256 DDR 266Mhz pc 2700
    Volcano 7+ cooler
    arctec dvd 16X40X
    Hp cd-writer plus 9300i
    samsung floppy

Thread Information