Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: nForce Boards

Greetings Denizens.

Could anyone tell me the current AMD Socket 7 motherboard implementing the nForce chipset? I'm thinking of getting the newer chipset when it's released, but I haven't yet got a main idea of what mobo manifacturers are using it. Also, I've heard that the sound is built into the South Bridge, is this true?

Many Thanks.
    Ph33r my L33t n3kk3d sk1llz.

A drunken man's a fool, a madman and a drowned man. The first drink makes him a fool, the second maddens him and the third drowns him. - William Shakespeare, 'The Twelfth Night'

Call me drowned.

Socket 7 or Socket A? I'm not aware of an nForce board that supports the Socket 7 platform.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Ack, my bad.

Darn my youthful insolence. I meant Socket A, yes.

Sorry! :geek:
    Ph33r my L33t n3kk3d sk1llz.

A drunken man's a fool, a madman and a drowned man. The first drink makes him a fool, the second maddens him and the third drowns him. - William Shakespeare, 'The Twelfth Night'

Call me drowned.

I've used the MSI K7N420 Pro with success:

http://www.msi.com.tw/products/mainb...?model=MS-6373

Abit also makes a couple (NV7-133R and NV7M), but I can't say I'm a fan of them (Abit that is):

http://www.abit.com.tw/abitweb/webjs...h/products.jsp

The nVidia blurb will tell you it has a Geforce2 core, the performance is on a par with a Geforce2 MX
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

Haven't like Abit much in the past, but the NV7-133R kicks ass!

Asus also has some NForce boards out.

The only thing about Nforce boards are that you really don't buy them for overclocking, espcially (and ironically) the Abit.

Both Asus and MSI are good too. The one thing that you may be intrested in is that the NV7-133R is the only NForce board featuring ATA RAID (ATA133 specifically).

It's not the fastest thing available, but it's still very fast.

Quote Originally Posted by fragman
    I've used the MSI K7N420 Pro with success
    I may be getting one of these bards for free shortly. I'm wanting to know if you can disable the onboard video and sound?

You disable the video (AGP slot provided) but why would ya want to disable the the sound though as it's at least as good as a SB Live. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Right, I wanted to disable the video because my video card has a little more power. I've also been reading reviews, and when the onboard video and sound were used, performance went down. I may try the sound though.

Later

Of course the performance will go down using the on-board video.
    The on-board video is basically a GeForce 2 MX. I've been hearing about some issue using the 2nd DIMM slot on that board--but it's apparently fixed with a BIOS update.

The sound is really nice, however, I hope nVidia adds an equalizer and some bass and treble controls.

I read up on the board. The 2nd DIMM thing is, if you put a stick of memory in either DIMM 1 or 2 or both and DIMM 3, It will be running "twinbank". Supposedly if you don't do it this way, the memory performance is lower.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information