Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Q6600: So where's the power?

Default Q6600: So where's the power?

Everyone says that I won't really notice a difference - speed wise - with my Q6600 because I'm not running any video editing or such which takes advantage of the four cores. My question is - is there a way that I can see the power of the Q6600 on my system and what would I need to do in order to see it?

I'm asking this because after blowing my whole income tax on this new system I don't really notice a big difference from my old P4 2.4GHz system.

Thanks.

spec is offline Member

Default Re: Q6600: So where's the power?

Well, if you're running the Q6600 on stock speeds, it's still running at 2.4 Ghz, same as your old processor. For single threaded apps, you may not be able to see any significant increase in performance. Your windows experience should increase, especially if you have background tasks such as Firewall/Antivirus running and music playing at the same time, while you are typing a word document.
    Some games utilize more than 1 core, so it may help there, but there are not many 'real' world apps which use more than 1 core.

Video editing is one of the areas where you'll see a significant performance diff using a Quadcore as there are more 'cpus' doing the work.

In short, before blowing all your income tax or most of it, it's a good idea to check on forums if you need such a powerful processor for the kind of work you are doing.

BTW, what is your primary purpose of your PC, what do you use it max for ?
    Also post your complete system specs or add it in your signature, after all you've paid a lot of money for your machine, might as well display it :)
    Intel Core i5 4670k C0 @4.2Ghz - Corsair H80i
    Gigabyte GA-Z97x-SOC Force (Rev 01, BIOS F6C)
    16GB Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866Mhz DDR3 9-10-9-27 1.5v
    Gigabyte R9 280x OC Windforce

OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD - Windows 7 Home Premium 64bit
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Small print - All suggestions I give on this forum are just that - Suggestions.
    I'm merely suggesting an approach/opinion which I would have taken - You are welcome to try at your own risk.

Default Re: Q6600: So where's the power?

90%+ of all people with Quad core CPU's will never need the power they offer. THat is a sad painful fact that must be swallowed once you are not happy with your results.

Run some benchmarks. That will atleast show you some power. Otherwise, wait a few more years for regular programs/games to be properly multi-threaded.
    GIgabyte GA-990FXA-UD3
    AMD FX8120 @ 4GHz
    Patriot 1866MHz EL series 2X4GB DDR3
    Powercolour HD 6970 2GB w/XFX 8800GT 512MB Hybrid PhysX
    Creative X-FI titanium HD w/Technics class A 300W amp and tower speakers
    PC P&C 500W PSU
    2TB Seagate
    Coolermaster 690II w/Corsair H100 tucked under the hood

Thread Information