Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question

Default Question

Hello forum,I have a question..This is my system.
    Core 2 Duo X6800 Extreame @3.37
    EVGA nForce 680i MB
    OCZ 2Gig 15-5-5-5 memory kit DDR2 OCZ2N1066SR2GK 2 x 2 gig kits
    (4 gigs total)
    NVIDIA GeForce 8800 Ultra BFGE88768UE
    Western Digital 160gig <ACRONYM title="Serial Advanced Technology Attachment">sata</ACRONYM> II 16mb
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer SB0730VP
    Cooler master CM Stacker 830 Silver
    OCZ Gamer extreme PS 1010wat OCZ1010GXSSLI
    Samsung Optical (DVD/CDRW)
    Windows XP Pro 32bit SP2
    SamSung SyncMaster 24" LCD
    Couger Hotas
    Cambridge4.1 speakers

One of the CPU's is turned off in the <ACRONYM title="Basic Input Output Sytem">BIOS</ACRONYM>..Would there be any benifit to turn on the 2nd one? If so what do I need to do to turn it on? And will it still play my games with both on? Thank you
    Last edited by Darthtanion; 07-20-2008 at 07:28 AM. Reason: Remove unnecessary ad related HTML

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Default Re: Question

What makes you say one is off it you do not know how to turn it on? It could be a fried core.

There is a place in the bios, but I am not sure what it is called in Nvidia Boards, to turn on all 4 cores.

If you cannot access it, like the section will not allow you to change this, you will need to Flash the BIOS then load optimized defaults and save and apply then reboot and make any changes you normally would need to make. Then of course check the cores on/off ability again.

I have seen some have to RMA 68090 boards due to this.

And of course, this all could also have happened if you used to use a core duo and just installed a quad core recently. In that case, first you should try the load optimized defaults with the BIOS you have now, and then if no luck before flashing a different BIOS you should do a windows inplace repair install.

You could try SFC /Scannow before trying a full repair install and see if that works, then all you would need to reinstall would be windows updates again. To do this you open a run box, type in cmd. Then copy and past the following (You might be asked for your install disk so have it handy) >>>

Code:
    sfc /scannow
    Yes, the space is there, and is necessary

If you need any further info on how to doa repair install let me know

Sir it is a DAUL CORE and it came to me with one turned of..I did not build the box..

I would like to know if there is any benifit to turning on the second core..What will it help..Will my games still play and will they play any better?

Both Core 0 and Core 1 show as enabled in that screenshot..... . Does taskmanager in windows show two cores? Dual core and quad core processors do not cause problems with games generally speaking. No one would intentionally shut off a functioning core. Some games will improve dramatically with multiple cores. Multitasking is improved greatly.
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieDawg View Post
    Both Core 0 and Core 1 show as enabled in that screenshot..... . Does taskmanager in windows show two cores? Dual core and quad core processors do not cause problems with games generally speaking. No one would intentionally shut off a functioning core. Some games will improve dramatically with multiple cores. Multitasking is improved greatly.
    Dawg,thanks for the answer you will have to excuse my stupidity but how do you tell in the task manager how many CPU's are running?.....

There should be a graph for each cpu

If you are only seeing one graph then in Task Manager go to View > CPU History > check the "One graph per CPU" option
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

I'm running Vista currently and don't want to take the time to boot one of my XP systems but you should be able to find out by following these steps: Right click taskbar (at bottom of screen)---> left click "taskmanager" ---> left click "performance" tab ---> see if there are multiple cpu usage graphs.

Edit ANZAC ELITE beat me to it ...lol
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

That's it, now run a programme such as prime95 and you should see a usage line at 100% in both graphs.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Thread Information