Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Question, About Core Voltage

Default Re: Question, About Core Voltage

I just bought a Ultra 120 Extreme, but I'm going to try something first, I found a craft store that sells pure Silver Leaf in three thickness, standard, leaf foil, and foil, the last one is the most interesting. The foil is just like tin foil, so I'm thinking of building up the copper pipe areas using a very fine layer of AC5 (thin layer, wipe it off, still tacky ) as the bonding agent for the silver foil and see if it gives better contact to the cpu. If it works it was only $4.50 for a piece 1' long by 1 3/16" wide.

Check the base of the Ultra with a razor blade or similar on edge, mine was "Ultra" convex, lol, ergo lapped it.

It will be interesting to see your results though I have my reservations about introducing another "layer" into the mix, I really can't see why you would bother personally as it just introduces potential for more surfaces to provide less efficient cooling due to incomplete surface mating.

Have you tried Arctic MX-2 or Tuniq TX-2 TIM? I prefer them over AS5
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

all input is welcomed mate, did you notice my new cpu?

;)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Ya, I saw that, and laughed for quite some time about your (DEAD ON) comment on Hairdoo's!!!

Well none of the stuff I ordered got here so it will be next weekend before I can play around with the coolers. Kinda disappointed, like being a kid and waiting for the mailman to bring that set of X-Ray glasses I ordered out of the back of a comic book, hope the cooler idea works better.

I switched to OCZ Freeze a few months ago, was thinking that the AC5 was little tacker and would keep things aligned a little better until everything was snapped into place.

Let us know how things go.

Ya, I hate the wait for sure, but like you described I hate the waiting to use even more. I am partially thru my RocketFish modding and looks like a month or two more before I have all items ordered and completed

The wait, lol.

In the process of ordering more memory now I'm dual booting Vista Ultimate x64, (another 2GB HyperX 1375MHz)

Supplier is 1-3 days before despatch, grrrrrrrr, I want it yesterday

:)

The layer idea was a failure the silver strips keep moving causing larger gaps on the two attempts tried and overall raised temps about 1-2c at idle, no stress tests were run..

Next I lapped the Xigmatek starting with 800 until the first marks showed up on the copper then switched to 1000 until an even scratch pattern covered the base and finished with 1500. About three hours work.

With OCZ Freeze running Prime small FFTs CPU 9.5x432, 1.32v load temps maxed at 72c saw 70c through most of the 8 and 10k tests once everything was warmed up. The Intelburn test, turned it off when the CPU hit 85c and that wasn't long into the first of two. Next I reversed the Xigmatek so I could install the fan in the pull position, load temps maxed at 71c saw 69c 70c through most of the 8 and 10 k tests. Next I tried a piece of Silver Leaf Foil (No TIM) between the CPU and HS temps maxed at 76c. Should of tried the Silver Foil to see if the heavier material would work better.

Now the U120E, compared to the Xignatek it's a brick and you were right about the base, mine was so convex I could place a razor blade on it and see light through both ends. Started with 400 then 600, 800 1000 and finished with 1500. Same clock and TIM from above maxed at 67c most of the test 66c, fan in the pull position. Intelburn maxed at 81c in the second of two. I did notice that temp changes while it was running were more consistent and not as sudden as with the Xigmatek

Ive kept everything above consistent as possible, room temp was between 21.6 22.7c, used same fans and all voltages at lowest stable setting. Idle temps were 44c both coolers once the strip test was over.

I actually didn't gain a thing once I lapped the Xigmatek. Original screen shot shows 66c + 5c for Tjmax difference, add 3-5c more since at the time the screen shot was taken it's running an odd large FFT, then subtract the room temp difference and what I picked up lapping the CPU. I'm probably running warmer with the Xigmatek than when I started all this. I don't think there is enough mass in the base and the removal of material even though slight made it worst. As for IntelBurn my temps are all over the place with the Xigmatek and deferent with deferent runs? I'll use it but not for my gaming\overclocking boxes. I'm happy with Prime and a lockup or BOSD gives me an excuse to bad mouth Microsoft even it isn't their fault.

Now after two 3 AM nights, a few bottles of Ale, a cut finger and about $90 in parts I've a cooler that's better by 4-5c and a wife asking That's All, but I'm happy.
    CPU-Q6600 B3 Lapped 9X333, ZALMAN CNPS9700 NT w/OCZ Freeze
    MB-GIGABYTE GA-EP35-DS4
    MEM-3 GIGs Crucials
    VIDEO CARD-EVGA 8800 GTS 512
    HD-BOOT WD1600AAJS SATA2
    HD-2x WD5000ABYS SATA2 (RAID 0)
    HD-WD 3200JB 8MB IDE
    DVD-RW-PIONEER DVR-112DBK IDE
    FLOPPY-SONY 1.44MB
    CASE-APEVIA MX-PLEASURE (3x80mm IN & 1x120mm OUT)
    PS-ANTEC NEO POWER 650W
    SOUND-SB EXTREMEGAMER FATAL1TY PRO W/ I/O UPGRADE KIT
    TV-HAUPPAUGE WINTV-PVR USB 2.0
    OS-MICROSOFT WINDOWS MCE 2005 / SP3

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information