Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Intel vs AMD?

As we compare these two processors (Intel and AMD), which one is the best performance-wise?

First when we use them in Descktop Computers
    Second when we use them in Servers

?????

wow this question:eek: LET THE WARS BEGIN! :shoot3: :snip:
    I perfer AMD but i am not really bias (i have two pentium systems)...they are cheaper and when it comes down to it they are performers as well.
    - Damien

It all depends on what you're looking for. You can go to different websites and they'll tell you that one is better than the other for THIS reason. If you look around, you can even find sites that show that each of these processors outscored the competition! Makes for some entertainment sometimes. :)

This is just my opinion, but I would consider the Intel for the servers. I say this because a lot of databases are primed for use with the Intel line of processor. Since this is the case, you will gain better performance numbers from the Pentium4 server setup. But if this is not an immediate project, then keep your eyes peeled on the new Hammer processors being released by AMD in the near future. It is very possible that they will smoke the Intel in the server market.

On the desktop units, however, I would take a good look at the AthlonXP processors. They are reasonably priced, and they perform on par with the best that Intel has to offer (and again... at a fraction of the cost). They are stable, offer great performance and cost significantly less than the Intel counterpart.

Bottom line... it all comes down to choice. Both processors have strong points and weak points, so you just have to figure out where you need the strengths to lie and then buy accordingly.

Good luck. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Good analysis there Darth and it will always come down to his choice and what you basically gonna use your system for. You should always do your reseach and look around and read alot articles ...compare and then decide.: peace2:
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by mgkamil
    As we compare these two processors (Intel and AMD), which one is the best performance-wise?

First when we use them in Descktop Computers
    Second when we use them in Servers

?????
    I hope this image is explanation enough for you mgkamil.

:laugh: Great Pic Bro:laugh:
    - Damien

Quote Originally Posted by Flaco
    :laugh: Great Pic Bro:laugh:
    Thats been my desktop, for, oh I want to say two something weeks. I love it.

hahaha nice pic
    http://www.techtv.com/graphics/globa...age_banner.jpg

1st computer
    Aopen AK73 pro (a)
    Microsoft Windows 2000

AMD Athlon(tm) @ 1.222 GHz
    MMX, CMov, RDTSC, 3DNow!, Extended 3DNow!

ATI radeon 8500 64mb
    512 MB SD-Ram
    AGP 1x, 2x, 4x (4x enabled)
    8.03 GB seagate HD
    37.27 GB Seagate Barracuta 7200rpm
    SONY 24x10x56 CD-RW
    RAITE DVD 8x40x
    3com 3cr990-tx-97 with 168 bit encryption cost me 179.99

-----------------------
    2nd computer
    Aopen AK73 pro
    AMD athlon 800mhz processer
    192MB of SDR ram
    10.0 gig Western Digital Hard drive
    44x max CD drive
    Removable HDbay
    Geforce 2 M.X. 400 64mb
    etherlink III PCI (wow)
    and its in a butiful 200mhz gateway huge tower case

There was all so an article at www.tomshardware.com that compared the 2100XP to the new 2200XP built on the Barton core. Basically the 2200XP was a flop for AMD as it did not perform as well as there older 2100XP which could easily reach the same performance levels of the 2200XP. The 2200XP just does not perform as well as the Athlon XP's built on the old cores. So don't get to excited about the Barton core as the only real change was a switch from a L2 cache of 256kb to an L2 cache of 512kb. Another problem for AMD currently is as was mentioned in a post above the processors that AMD keeps turning out continue to run quite hot with no signs of them producing cpu's that run cooler currently. While Intel's plans are to start producing processors with higher clock speeds that run cooler then there existing processors do currently in the near future. Basically Athlon has some rough times ahead of it, I'm sure they will get past these problems but until they do Intel is going remain in the lead and continue to slowly pulll further ahead in the race for better processors. So we will just have to wait to see who produces a processor that runs cooler first, my money is on Intel right now as AMD has a number of problems to deal with in regards to getting ther new Hammer/Opteron processors out and improve on there new Barton core if they plan to keep using this new core just recently released.
    "We're not tool's of the government or anyone else. Fighting was the only thing...the only thing I was good at. But atleast...I always fought for what I believed in."

[b]an article at www.tomshardware.com that compared the 2100XP to the new 2200XP built on the Barton core
    Sorry but that is the "Thoroughbred" core as "Barton" will not be out till later this year (they did make some assumptions about the "Barton" but that's all they were). Also the "Thoroughbred" is the start of AMD's 0.13 micron build process which still has to settle down as where some sites didn't get much out of them but a few others got some very nice performance/overclocks out of them. Basically this means that the process just needs some more fine tuning which will happen.
    Another thing to remember though is that once the "Clawhammer" is released later this year then these current Athlon's will take over the Duron's position at the lower end of the market. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread Information