Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Question on Intel CPU's

Default Question on Intel CPU's

Okay i got a Q6600, Nice CPU. But about to upgrade my spare system so planning to put this CPU in there and getting me another CPU. Just fastest easier way for me. Well i'm looking at the 3.0ghz Quads.

Here is the 2 CPU's looking at, Then i'll get to the main reason for this Topic.

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Q9650 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 95W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

&

Newegg.com - Intel Core 2 Extreme QX9650 Yorkfield 3.0GHz 12MB L2 Cache LGA 775 130W Quad-Core Processor - Processors - Desktops

Okay Besides major price difference, Can someone please explain to me what the difference is with the Extreme's and the Normal? I've tried looking at specs and stuff and it just doesn't quite get through my thick skull whats so special about these with there prices being almost double.

Now if none of what i said makes sense sorry, about to hit the sack from long night at work lol. So if anybody can help me out here trying to help me understand the difference or whats so different then ok cool thank you, if need to ask questions let me know and i'll try to answer then best as i can.

Thanks.

Default Re: Question on Intel CPU's

The Extreme has and unlocked multiplier the other has a fixed multiplier between 6-9.

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Waste of Cash for sure, especially since you needed to know (No Offense meant at all)

Get the normal one, they will both overclock the same for you, exactly the same

Ohh, the extreme comes with a larger junk, I mean stock fan

Get a Q9450/X3350 or a Q6600/X3220 and overclock them, you will save a ton of cash, If you get the Xeon's they do drive the ladies crazy

Well might not meant to be offensive. But you know not everyone knows all this crap right away. So i decided to goto a forum that has best ppl that knew this stuff.

Also the CPU is nothing to me, Got a Noctua, That runs everything extremely cool.

And i pointed out i already got the Q6600. But i putting it in my spare system, And getting a bigger CPU for my main.

Now if your not going to push me down even more about a "stupid" question, Why do you sugest the Zeon? Not seeing much of a difference in them either.

But ok Thank You Slammer. Thats i had found on them, But wanted to make sure.

Also before i hit the done button, I'm hoping this place is getting back to a "stupid" question is going to be bashed and or put down whenever someone asks one.

honestly man, he really didnt mean any offense, and he never said it was a stupid question... but back to the question, the q9650 is definitely the bettter processor for the money... because your not going to be using liquid nitrogen cooling, you wont be able to get the extreme stable at a higher clock than the regular one.

as for the question about Xeons, the main difference is that Xeons were originally marketed as a server chip, whereas the Core 2 series has always been for desktops. More recently however, we have begun using Xeons in desktops more commonly. Originally the Xeon range had more cache space than their desktop counterparts but, since the introduction of the Core 2 series, this has changed. Xeons and Core 2s use the Intel 64 transitional instruction set, so the only real difference is the platform... that is, LGA771 for Xeons and LGA775 for the Core 2 range
    NZXT Lexa BlackLine Case with Red LEDs
    Corsair TX-750 Modular PSU
    Gigabyte EP45-DS3P (BIOS F7)
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q9300 @ 3.73GHz (downclocked for the summer )
    OCZ Vendetta 2 CPU Heatsink
    2x 2GB Kingston HyperX RAM PC2-6400 @ 996MHz (4-5-5-15)
    3x Seagate Barracuda 7200.11 500GB HDD in RAID5
    2x HIS Radeon HD 4850 @ 745/1090 in CrossFireX
    2x ThermalTake DuOrb GPU Heatsink
    D-Link Super G PCI WLAN Adapter
    Asus Lightscribe 20x SATA II DVD-DL Burner
    Creative X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Pro
    2x 22" LG W2252TQ-PF Widescreen LCD Monitor (YAY!! Finally got the second one!!)

Lsdmeasap is offline GIGABYTE Guru

Ya, I meant no offense at all man, just trying to save you some cash

Xeons are available for 775 boards, Not much difference, a few instruction sets and a lower voltage range

Thread Information