Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is it true?

Is it true that if I wanted an AthlonXP 2200+ I have to first go out and buy a copper heatsink? Currently I have a Global Win WBK38 is this HSF categorized as a cheap cooler? I did spend 21 dollars on it but that was when it first came out.

It would probably work just fine. But, if your new setup starts freezing, then you know its time to invest in something better. It can't hurt to try.

You probably will start to freeze up if you O/C at all with your current HS.

I thought the 2200+ was manufactured to use less voltage therefore producing less heat...either way a good copper HS and a good fan should be used when O/Cing ....temps do rise.: peace2:
    - Damien

I don't o/c the only time I ever had was I got my Athlon1.4 up to 1.6 but it crashed on me in 2 hours.....I since brought it down to 1.4 again and I'm not o/c anymore. The fan on the WBK38 if you don't know is a Delta 38 which pushes 38CFM. Not only that I have the wind tunnel plus from coolerguys.com (they don't make it anymore) so I have 2 92MM fans on the side which bring cool air in the case. I hope I could run the new processor cause I do plan on upgrading when Doom 3 comes out. If I can't run the game perfectly its time to upgrade.

I think there would be no problem dude i as long as you don't over clock...I have my CPU as a 2200+ at 39-42 degrees C...with a volcano 7+ ...and that was only after i installed to extra side panel fans...my point is if you don't plan to O/C i don't think there will be a problem as long as you have proper case cooling and all...and correct me if i am wrong but i belive AMD did manufacture the 2200+ to use less voltage...: peace2:
    - Damien

Flaco,
    While the new Thoroughbred processors do manage to run at a bit lower voltage (1.65v -vs- 1.75v), the fact that they are scaled higher will even out the temperatures. Besides, I'd imagine that an awful lot of people will be running these new toys at higher voltages to get better overclocks out of them.

ReSpAwN DeMoN,
    While the WBK38 may indeed hold you for a bit, it would be wise to go ahead and invest in a newer and better cooling solution. After all, why shell out $230+ for a new processor and then have questions about spending another $30 for a decent cooler? Doesn't make a lot of sense to me. :?:
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Can't argue with that Darth makes sense...and Respawn ...Darth does have a point there...about the HS&F ....:)
    - Damien

AMD considers it necessary to use at least a copper base HSF for the Thoroughbreds as the core area is so small compared to earlier Athlon that copper is needed to get the heat away from the smaller core faster. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

zeradul, I've got the HSF before his, the FOP-38 and I'm runnin 1000@1400MHz at 42C idle ... nothin wrong with the series that I can see, I highly recommend them. :afro:
    AMD Thunderbird AXIA 1000MHz @ 1400MHz
    MSI K7T266 Pro2
    Globalwin FOP-38 w/Delta
    1024MB PC2100 DDR (2-2-2)
    Leadtek Geforce 3 TD - 210/500
    Soundblaster Live!
    Plextor 16x10x40x
    20GB WD 7200RPM ATA66
    40GB WD 7200RPM ATA133
    60GB Maxtor 7200RPM ATA100
    Enlight Case / 17" Hansol Monitor

So you think the WBK38 shoould cool the tbred just fine? Espeically with the fact that I have the Wind Tunnel Plus? :D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information