Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Uneven Temps

Default Uneven Temps

I have a Q6600 Kentsfield and running OCCT i noticed that 2 cores are about 6c lower than the other 2.
    Is this normal?
    Also it's running at about 70c with a mild overclock at 2.8.
    I have a 900 gaming case and a Artic Freezer 7 fitted so i had assumed it would be running cooler than that but this may be normal.
    Looking for guidance please.
    Thanks.
    V8 Animal

Chucko is offline Member

Default Re: Uneven Temps

I'm seeing the same differences between cores on my Q6600. It doesn't seem to hurt anything. It could just be loading differences across the CPUs, or thermal path differences. If you want, you can lap your CPU and cooler! :D

70C with a good cooler seems a bit high. I have never seen temps that high on mine, but my "playroom" is cool in the winter. Even using Linpack at 3.2GHz I never saw much higher than 60C. You might try cranking up the exhaust fans on your case. What's your core voltage?

Hi thanks for helping me.
    I have all fans set to L2
    Normal CPU Vcore 1.32500V
    V8 Animal

The cores are independent and the degree of difference is entirely normal.

As to your temps, they are indeed elevated, I would suggest you physically check the cooler push pin mounts as they are notorious for disengaging, it sounds as if you may have one or more not securely engaged.

Obviously you'll need to replace your thermal paste if you remove your cooler.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
    The cores are independent and the degree of difference is entirely normal.

As to your temps, they are indeed elevated, I would suggest you physically check the cooler push pin mounts as they are notorious for disengaging, it sounds as if you may have one or more not securely engaged.

Obviously you'll need to replace your thermal paste if you remove your cooler.
    Just removed cooler it did look ok.
    Not easy to refit as on clip kept on folding on it's back.
    OCCT reports at idle 45/36/35/45
    CPU Clock keeps changing EIST enabled?
    CPU 1 is the hottest.

Those push pins are the most useless mounting system I have ever encountered, is there a bolt through option available for your cooler? If there is I would recommend you use it.

OCCT uses the correct TjMax for my chip (though I prefer Real Temp) so I would presume it is the same for yours, those temps are high for idle but the sensors were never intended to accurately report idle temps, what are your load temps? (OCCT or IntelBurnTest)

Cpu clock changing will be EIST/Speedstep, it is a good thing

Given what you posted (assuming they are Core 0,1,2,3) it still appears (imo) that the cooler isn't making ideal contact with the chip, which thermal paste did you use when you remounted the cooler?

have you tried a lower vcore, 1.325v seems a lot for such a small oc, what is your chips VID? (this can be found using Core Temp, Real Temp, Everest)
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Quote Originally Posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
    Those push pins are the most useless mounting system I have ever encountered, is there a bolt through option available for your cooler? If there is I would recommend you use it.

OCCT uses the correct TjMax for my chip (though I prefer Real Temp) so I would presume it is the same for yours, those temps are high for idle but the sensors were never intended to accurately report idle temps, what are your load temps? (OCCT or IntelBurnTest)

Cpu clock changing will be EIST/Speedstep, it is a good thing

Given what you posted (assuming they are Core 0,1,2,3) it still appears (imo) that the cooler isn't making ideal contact with the chip, which thermal paste did you use when you remounted the cooler?

have you tried a lower vcore, 1.325v seems a lot for such a small oc, what is your chips VID? (this can be found using Core Temp, Real Temp, Everest)
    Core Temp 40/40/33/33
    As for load goes to 70c in less than a minute changed to 80c lasts 10 mins unhappy with this so new cooler reqd.
    Reset it still the same std antec paste used.
    Sorry don't know how to change vcore shaded ut on bios it is the latest bios.
    chips VID is 1.325V as states and according to Core Temp
    Sorry novice here hope you don't mind.
    As for the cooler advice on here has told me to bin it and im getting a Noctua not so popular it seems in the UK
    V8 Animal

Which motherboard do you have? Which bios revision?

The advice to bin the cooler is good, also you may wish to consider the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme which (imo) is arguably the best air cooler on the market. Also get some better thermal paste when you buy your cooler, Arctic MX-2, Tuniq TX-2 and Noctua NT-H1 all work well.

Use the paste sparingly as too much is as bad as not enough, use a grain of rice size blob, I prefer to spread mine with my finger in a thin sandwich/plastic bag and when the cooler is mounted I give it a couple of twists to remove any chance of air bubbles before fully tightening it down, others will tell you to let the cooler spread the blob as you tighten it down, in reality both methods will work and it becomes a personal preference which one you use, the desired result is a very thin layer to fill any micro gaps in the surface of both mating faces.

Check your case airflow, the rule of thumb for case fans is that the front and side fans are inlet while the rear and top are exhaust.

Also air movement around the case, if it is jammed in a cubbyhole it won't perform to the optimum.

70C is not good and 80C is not good at all, I would refrain from any further stress testing that drives temps up that high and keep a close eye on your temps while using the pc until you get your new cooler on there.

I should mention that if I remember correctly the Noctua cooler requires the removal of the mother board from the case to facilitate the fitting of the back plate (the Thermalright definetly does) so hopefully you can achieve this yourself or get someone (shop maybe?) to help you out given that you state you are a "novice".

Ask away if you have any more questions.

Cheers

Hi what's your thoughts on this one?
    Zalman's CNPS9500 LED CPU cooler - The Tech Report - Page 1
    As this is available at my local pc shop.
    No worries about fitting it just bought a new tower and had to remove all the parts and refit will have to do it again now but hey ho.
    GA-P35-DS4 Mobo all fans are directed properley but case is fitted in recess in table which is not the best for airflow i know.
    Cheers

Chucko is offline Member

IMHO that Zalman looks flashy but I'm not impressed with the performance in that test. I have the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 and it works well for me. Be sure to get the Crossbow bolt-through mounting kit with it. The TRUE, Tuniq Tower, Sunbeam Core Contact etc. are all good choices as well. Check FrostyTech and SilentPCReview for good cooler recommendations.

Saving a few pounds on the cooler and frying an expensive CPU doesn't make sense to me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information