Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
Results 41 to 50 of 134

Thread: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?




  1. #41

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Q6700 is 2.66Ghz, 8mb L2 cache, and 1066mhz fsb.

    Q9550 is 2.83Ghz, 12mb L2 cache and 1333mhz fsb.

    You could split the difference and go Q9450 which is 2.66Ghz, 12mb L2 cache, and 1333mhz fsb. OEM chip without heatsink/fan unit is 238 dollars at SuperBiz SuperBiiz.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450 2.66GHz 1333MHz 12MB LGA775 EM64T CPU, OEM
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

  2. #42
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Q6700 is 2.66Ghz, 8mb L2 cache, and 1066mhz fsb.

    Q9550 is 2.83Ghz, 12mb L2 cache and 1333mhz fsb.

    You could split the difference and go Q9450 which is 2.66Ghz, 12mb L2 cache, and 1333mhz fsb. OEM chip without heatsink/fan unit is 238 dollars at SuperBiz SuperBiiz.com - Intel Core 2 Quad Processor Q9450 2.66GHz 1333MHz 12MB LGA775 EM64T CPU, OEM
    12MB Cache? Brilliant.
    Current system:
    - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
    - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
    -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

  3. #43

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Keep in mind, that price is for version that comes without heatsink and fan unit. You have to supply your own.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

  4. #44
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    Keep in mind, that price is for version that comes without heatsink and fan unit. You have to supply your own.
    Even so, CPU coolers aren't that expensive...
    Current system:
    - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
    - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
    -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

  5. #45

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    They can be very cheap, indeed. I think you'll greatly enjoy the Q9450. It was, for a short time, standing in the same class as the previous bang for buck champion, Q6600. Lowest cost quad core with full cache amount, making it a darling of budget enthusiasts. I, sadly, never got to own one. I skipped pretty much straight from Q6600 to i7 920.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

  6. #46
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    They can be very cheap, indeed. I think you'll greatly enjoy the Q9450. It was, for a short time, standing in the same class as the previous bang for buck champion, Q6600. Lowest cost quad core with full cache amount, making it a darling of budget enthusiasts. I, sadly, never got to own one. I skipped pretty much straight from Q6600 to i7 920.
    Heh, no tears there if it were me. I'd love an i7, but the cost is ridiculous and me being only 14, I really can't afford it.

    Also, I like AMD. I'm planning, at one point, to get 4 Phenom II 940s running together.

    Today my friend showed me the specs PC his dad bought him (for 2.5k, around $3600). It was a dark day for those of us looking at Stock counters ("Core i7 Extreme - 0 Available").

    He got TWO Core i7s, 3 SLI 9600GTs, 12GB of DDR3 RAM and a 1TB hard drive at 10k RPM. Can't say I'm too jealous though because it's a Mesh so it will only last a few weeks xD. I've reccomended he get a water loop, my other friend reckons he'll want two.

    That PC will run ridiculously fast, I might convince him to take the heatsink off of one of the CPUs and get two back on warranty so I can have the other =]
    Current system:
    - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
    - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
    -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

  7. #47

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by Chrisname View Post
    Heh, no tears there if it were me. I'd love an i7, but the cost is ridiculous and me being only 14, I really can't afford it.

    Also, I like AMD. I'm planning, at one point, to get 4 Phenom II 940s running together.

    Today my friend showed me the specs PC his dad bought him (for 2.5k, around $3600). It was a dark day for those of us looking at Stock counters ("Core i7 Extreme - 0 Available").

    He got TWO Core i7s, 3 SLI 9600GTs, 12GB of DDR3 RAM and a 1TB hard drive at 10k RPM. Can't say I'm too jealous though because it's a Mesh so it will only last a few weeks xD. I've reccomended he get a water loop, my other friend reckons he'll want two.

    That PC will run ridiculously fast, I might convince him to take the heatsink off of one of the CPUs and get two back on warranty so I can have the other =]
    2 Core i7's??? As in 2 seperate machines, right? There is no dual socket Core i7 platform. There is dual socket Nehalem Xeon though. Just came out yesterday. Same 1366 socket, but no word yet on if you can get away with a pair of Core i7's on it yet. If so, that would be TERRIBLY juicy news.

    Can you get a link to that deal? If some company knows something the rest of us doesn't, we gotta get the word out on this one. Dual Core i7's would be a killer cost effective way to avoid the Xeon premium price.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

  8. #48
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    2 Core i7's??? As in 2 seperate machines, right? There is no dual socket Core i7 platform. There is dual socket Nehalem Xeon though. Just came out yesterday. Same 1366 socket, but no word yet on if you can get away with a pair of Core i7's on it yet. If so, that would be TERRIBLY juicy news.

    Can you get a link to that deal? If some company knows something the rest of us doesn't, we gotta get the word out on this one. Dual Core i7's would be a killer cost effective way to avoid the Xeon premium price.

    Well he said it's dual Core i7s... I thought I'd seen about that before? It's a company called Mesh: MESH Computers - Award Winning Review PCs Since 1987*

    To be honest their standards have slipped heavily - at the curve of the millenium they were the highest standard PC manufacturer - good prices, good quality builds... but now... well put it this way; one of my friends has a Mesh which has suffered hardware failures 3 times. He claims it's "because of Vista"... (two of the times it was power related, i.e power supply not being powerful enough or connected properly... or just being shoddily built.)

    *Looks to me like he was lying or got it wrong (he's not exactly the most computer-literate person out there...) After looking on Mesh you can't get 3 way SLI of 9600GTs from them, or x2 Core i7s... there isn't even an option for two way SLI for the 9600GT, only two way CrossfireX for the ATi HD4870X2...

    Still, one Core i7 Extreme is enough to move my entire hard drive (if it were full), which is 585GB, in less than a minute and a half (I've read it can move 7GB/s although it may have been Gb/s)

    Looks like we will be seeing dual-socket Core i7s soon:
    "Core i7-powered Skulltrail may arrive in early 2009:

    What if you could have two CPUs capable of chewing through 16 threads simultaneously in your desktop PC? That's probably not going to be cheap no matter what, but German site Hardware Aktuell says you can look forward to something like that from Intel next year: the company is cooking up a Core i7-flavored version of its Skulltrail enthusiast platform.

    The first-generation Skulltrail platform features a strange mix of server and desktop hardware, setting re-badged workstation processors together in a dual-CPU motherboard that supports both CrossFire and SLI multi-GPU configurations. Hardware Aktuell's story doesn't say much about the Core i7 version of Skulltrail, but it mentions the platform will retain support from both AMD's and Nvidia's multi-GPU schemes.

    Skulltrail v2.0 reportedly won't come out until early 2009, but we may get a peek at it before then. The story goes on to say Intel could demo its new baby at the Intel Developer Forum in Taipei, Taiwan on October 20-21, much like it did last year with the first Skulltrail iteration."
    Last edited by Chrisname; 04-01-2009 at 04:30 AM.
    Current system:
    - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
    - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
    -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

  9. #49

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    The new Nehalem based Xeons fit that request quite well. Dual socketed Core i7 is what they basicly are. Skulltrail used both 2x Xeons or 2x Core 2 QX9775 just fine, and it would be a real treat if Skulltrail II could use Xeon or Core i7 the same way.
    Last edited by moshpit; 04-01-2009 at 07:24 AM.
    Ci7 2600K @4.6Ghz/8Gb Patriot Viper DDR3 1600/Asus Sabertooth P67/EVGA GTX 580/Patriot Torqx 128/1 Tb WD Black
    Ci7 920/6Gb Corsair DDR3 1600mhz/EX58-UD3R/HIS Radeon HD 5870/750Gb Seagate ES.2, 2Tb WD Green
    And several other rigs...

  10. #50
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    54

    Default Re: Intel Core2 Quad: Q6600 vs Q8200 - Which is better?

    Quote Originally Posted by moshpit View Post
    The new Nehalem based Xeons fit that request quite well. Dual socketed Core i7 is what they basicly are. Skulltrail used both 2x Xeons or 2x Core 2 QX9775 just fine, and it would be a real treat if Skulltrail II could use Xeon or Core i7 the same way.
    Would be good, then we could have 8 core processing with a powerhouse of a CPU. I wouldn't be surprised if the USAF announced they were ordering a million of them for the F22 Raptor or something.
    Current system:
    - Intel Q8200 Processor (2.33GHz) (7x multi, roughly 340MHz FSB)
    - Intel DG45ID Motherboard (stupid locked BIOS >:( )
    - 6 GB DDR2 RAM (667MHz)
    - PNY GeForce 9500GT (750MHz Core clock, 1900MHz Shader clock, 500MHz Memory clock)
    -585GB SATA HDD (7200RPM)

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread Information

Users Browsing this Thread

There are currently 2 users browsing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •