Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: E8500 E0 stepping temps

Default E8500 E0 stepping temps

I have my E8500 overclocked to 3.375Ghz (stock speed is 3.125).. with stock voltages...

I have a large Antec p180 case and a Zerotherm Zen FZ120S cooler, which got a great review here on tweaktown.. Here is my question

idle I get 38 degrees.
    prime95 I get (max heat settings) 53 degrees
    IntelBurnTest (max stress settings) 63 degrees

Does this seem a little high? I am thinking I may have applied too much thermal paste.

Thanks for any thoughts.

Default Re: E8500 E0 stepping temps

Well I can answer my own question... Follow the instructions on applying thermal paste.. Arctic Silver Incorporated - Home.

I got my idle down to 35
    prime95 to 48
    IntelBurnTest 56

and that is with no break in time...

Quote Originally Posted by dvohwinkel View Post
    I have my E8500 overclocked to 3.375Ghz (stock speed is 3.125).. with stock voltages...

I have a large Antec p180 case and a Zerotherm Zen FZ120S cooler, which got a great review here on tweaktown.. Here is my question

idle I get 38 degrees.
    prime95 I get (max heat settings) 53 degrees
    IntelBurnTest (max stress settings) 63 degrees

Does this seem a little high? I am thinking I may have applied too much thermal paste.

Thanks for any thoughts.

You'll probably get another 2-3C decrease in the next 200 hours, I used to use AS5 but now use MX-2 as it is not electrically conductive and has no "cure" time.

You should be able to oc your chip to 3.8 - 4.0GHz but from what I see of your cooler it may hinder this due to the small number of heatpipes (compared to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) which will reduce heat transference capacity.

Another thing you may be able to try to further reduce your temperatures is lapping the cooler base though this will depend on its state of flatness now, you can test this with a straight edge (razor blade) diagonally to see if the cooler base is truely flat.
    E8600@ 4.25GHz~Thermalright Ultra 120 eXtreme~Foxconn Blackops~4GB Kingston HyperX DDR3 1625 at 1700MHz (8-8-8-24-2N) 1.916v~Asus 9800GTX~18x Pioneer 212 DL SATA DVD-RW~320GB WD SATAII~Antec True Power Trio 650W~Thermaltake Soprano~Vista Ultimate x64 SP2/Win7 RC1

Oh man.. there is always something better lol

Well I think one edge of the cooler raised slight off the
    cpu when trying to get the screws tightened down....
    and also my line may have been too thick.. I see they say thin string. I really have to fight to get the less is better is really true! But seeing is believing.. and I do have a nice improvement already.. but I bet I can get more. I will check the flatness.. but I got to be honest.. I doubt I could do a good lapping job.

I am checking around for some MX-2. I like the idea of no cure time. I get nervous with repeatedly removing the Motherboard.. so I better get it right this next time.
    dang shaky hands!!

Quote Originally Posted by ANZAC_ELITE View Post
    You'll probably get another 2-3C decrease in the next 200 hours, I used to use AS5 but now use MX-2 as it is not electrically conductive and has no "cure" time.

You should be able to oc your chip to 3.8 - 4.0GHz but from what I see of your cooler it may hinder this due to the small number of heatpipes (compared to the Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme) which will reduce heat transference capacity.

Another thing you may be able to try to further reduce your temperatures is lapping the cooler base though this will depend on its state of flatness now, you can test this with a straight edge (razor blade) diagonally to see if the cooler base is truely flat.
    Last edited by dvohwinkel; 04-17-2009 at 08:20 PM.

mine idles at about 37 and 38 for the 2 core
    and in prime doest go over 69 degrees
    (Oc to 3.4)
    with only one fan on case (xioin 2)and cpu stock
    E8500 OC 3.4ghz/GA-EP43-UD3L/8GB DDR2/9600GT 1GB/500GB HDD/22 in W2252TQ FLATRON
    2 PC P4 OC 3.1 HYPERTHREADED/2 gb ddr/9550/940n

Thread Information