Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: burning and voltage

your case was $50 probably because is generic (is it?)

the $70 power supply would be a name brand one, like aopen, enermax, leadman, etc

Is the drive only crapping out on you when you burn? Or is it doing the same thing when you read data as well? :?:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

It seems to read OK, just doesn't want to burn.:confused:

Peter B

Get one of those CD lens cleaners as it just maybe dust on the laser lens. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I tried that - didn't work.
    I've searched here, on Google and everywhere I can think of.
    I'm about to make a doll and stick pins in it.

Peter B

It sounds like you now have a new CDRom instead of a CDRW. It could be that the unregulated voltage may have done some permenant damage. As a last ditch effort, you might try burning a higher grade disk. You said you bought "cheap" disks. Try a little higher quality, like TDK or Sony. I have had my Lite On for a while and I have been able to burn any disk including "cheaper" quality disks like Imation, 3M, and Verbatim. It may be that any "damage" that may have been done to your CDRW may be over come with better quality disk. Try a 3 or 5-pack, just in case it still doesn't work, your aren't stuck with 100-spindle. :no:
    Have you hugged a Midget today?

yea exactly:D
    Epox 8RDA+
    xp2100@ 2.46ghz (214x11.5)
    Radeon 9700 pro
    512mb corsair xms3200 5-3-2-2@214
    512k ADSL
    SLK-800 HSF
    SB Audigy + Ultrasone HFI650DVD
    modded case: 2x120mm,4x80mm
    40GB Seagate Barracuda 4
    Sony trinitron 17"
    Antec Trupower 380W
    3D mark2003 : 5050

Well, I have to disagree about Imation being poor quality, I do not burn that much, but I have a friend who has burned at least 100 CD's a month for the past 2 years, with an Asus 16X burner for a while, and now an Asus 24X, and since he got XP, he has not made a single coaster, and he uses almost 100% imation disks. His system is an ASUS CUSL-2C with a P3 800, 256 MB PC133, Matrox G550.

Not the most powerful of systems, but still, no coasters whatsoever.
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

hmm, i've had a few of those but they went away, try a different disk, but you said after moving it to a diff comp it still didnt work so why are you replacing your psu..

I'm replacing the psu as I'm not comfortable with the high reading. It may have damaged the burner in the first place. If it did, then it could also damage it again after it's fixed. Or it could damage something else. Opinion seems to be divided on whether it's a problem or not, I'm just being cautious.

Peter B

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information