Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Amd Hammer Socket?

I heard that hammer will have longer stage pipelines to promote higher clock speeds. But this will make the processor a bit slower. Do you think they will make them big enough to have as high clock speeds as pentium 4 and make it as slow as a pentium 4? Or would it just be a little bit longer to make athlon have higher speeds and still intel raping processor?

The initial pre-production CPU's that were sent out to chipset, motherboard and systems manufacturers were locked at 800MHz but these were giving P4 1.6GHz processors a run for their money by all reports. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

ya that's pretty much what I heard. And if what AMD says is true (Athlon THunderbird 1.4GHz is 33% faster then Pentium 4 1.7GHz) that would mean that the new hammer is about twice the speed of my current processor? Now that is what I call rape.

they need to release some special prerelease chips to the public to buy. i know i would fork over the cash to get one
    Mess with the Best,
    Die like the Rest
    There are worse things than Death, and I can do them All.
    Backup has arrived
    Stupid people do stupid things, Smart people outsmart each other

apparently, clawhammer is being produced at a PR rating of 3000+ and might be called Athlon ST .....here's the link i found.

http://www.amdboard.com/hn08020201.html

Quote Originally Posted by SegiY
    I've seen a pic of AMD's socket 748 (or something?) that could be for it, makes sense.
    There is a whole lota pins on that thing.
    judging by the figures. the clawhammer and sledgehammer leap will have intel quick thinking once again. This may be where AMD fans find a true leap in overclockability. Clawhammer = 754 pins
    SledgeHammer = 940 pins
    concurrent Athlon Thunderbird based upon the 462 socket pins. I think it will be interesting to see how the clawhammer and sledgehammer are manufactured.
    Lian LI PC60
    (2 intake 80mm ADDA/3
    exhaust 80mm ADDA)
    EG465P-VE Enermax Dual fan PSU 465watt
    Asus A7N8X Dx ver2.0 C1007 latest bios
    AthlonXp 3200+ Barton
    Xms Corsair 3700PT TwinX paired 2x512@200mhz
    200mhz X 11.0 = 2.205GIG
    creative audigy 2
    Asus V8460 U Ti 4600 Dx
    CPU full load 28C
    Case full load 24C
    Western D HDD 120gb
    XP Professional current best- crap
    11682 marks=xp best performance settings @ 2500+ 166mhz x 11.0X = 1.83GIG

I'm fairly sure the 'sledgehammer' is just going to be the AMD counterpart of the p4 XEON, which means it will be very expensive and not really for the individual user...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

zeradul it not only targets Intel's P4 Xeon (32bit) but also their Itanium (64bit) as well, bang on two fronts. :D
    <center>:cheers:</center>

yeah this should be good enough to finally get amd ahead of intel lets hope:cheers:
    Mess with the Best,
    Die like the Rest
    There are worse things than Death, and I can do them All.
    Backup has arrived
    Stupid people do stupid things, Smart people outsmart each other

Nonetheless, my point is still valid.
    ...which means it will be very expensive and not really for the individual user...
    "In their capacity as a tool, computers will be but a ripple on the surface of our culture. In their capacity as intellectual challenge, they are without precedent in the cultural history of mankind." - Edsger Dijkstra

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread Information