Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: i7 920 v8 cooler running hot

Default i7 920 v8 cooler running hot

I am running a asus x58 p6t MB with a i7 920 cpu. Before i had this setup i was running a quad core 3 ghz cpu on a x38 mb at 28 C, so i know that the circulation is working out. But now i upgraded to the x58 running the i7 with a v8 cooling unit and my idol temp is at 45-50 C with the fan running at a constant 2008 rpms. Ive seen a couple posts here complaining about high temps on the i7 920 but i have not seen any conformation on the issue. Im thinking that perhaps the V8 cooling unit (being so large) does not cool the processor off as much on low temps since the fan is not directly on the CPU, however once the CPU gets hotter the radiators are a lot more effecient and perhaps they keep the high end temperatures lower? Any advice would work, the case has 2 fans pushing air in and 2 fans cranking it back out not including the cooling fan on the processor pushing it out the back of the case.

Default Re: i7 920 v8 cooler running hot

solution

ok i spent a few hours jumping around forums and the most information i could possibly get came form this Intel Core i7-920 Overclocking Guide (page 3) - X-bit labs and some other random small things... all in all i put the standard fan that came with the I7 back on and it was idleing at 65 C... then i put the V8 back on and PLASTERED it in thermal past and tightened all the bolts as much as possible and the idle temp is now down to 35 degrees... it was a amature mistake but i feel that the problem is now resolved, in turn the MB is also running 7 degrees colder now that the CPU is cooled properly.

Right now it is on load with calculating Pi, Fibonaci sequence, prime numbers, and is at a steady 55C so yea. hope it helps

Thread Information