Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for upgrade help

Default Re: Looking for upgrade help

So from a quick look at your motherboard manual, you want to go into the Advanced section, then under the JumperFree Configuration go to "FSB and Memory Config" and in there you want to change the "FSB (QDR), MHz". It should be at 1066 already (because 1066 is really 4x266 (QDR for Quad Data Rate) and 266 multiplied by your CPU's multiplier of 9.0 is 2.4GHz). Ideally a nice FSB would be 1333 which would give you a final clockspeed of 3GHz and your motherbaord supports this FSB speed out of the box so nothing will be running out of spec in that respect.
    Try raising the FSB in small increments (maybe 20 MHz or so) and checking the stability of your system. You may have to increase the VCore voltage if you start losing stability, but seeing as you've got a G0 you should be able to overclock a fair ways before that happens.

There's lots of guides to doing this overclocking step (for example: TR Forums • View topic - Athlon64 and C2D OVERCLOCKING GUIDE), but take your time, check your stability, keep an eye on your temps and you'll be fine.

Quote Originally Posted by mark33180 View Post
    I can't seem to update the bios it keeps telling em that the sizes don't match. currently using version 0901 current one on the asus website is 1401 any suggestions for updating it?
    Are you using Asus' EZ Flash 2 utility to do the BIOS update? (that's probably the easiest method)
    (From the Asus support page I can find version 1406 released on 2009/11/30:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...20SLI/1406.zip)
    So after you download the file, unzip it and put it on a memory stick of floppy disk and EZ Flash 2 should be able to find it.

Quote Originally Posted by loophole View Post
    Are you using Asus' EZ Flash 2 utility to do the BIOS update? (that's probably the easiest method)
    (From the Asus support page I can find version 1406 released on 2009/11/30:
    http://dlcdnet.asus.com/pub/ASUS/mb/...20SLI/1406.zip)
    So after you download the file, unzip it and put it on a memory stick of floppy disk and EZ Flash 2 should be able to find it.
    I tried doing that using EZ Flash 2 in the Bios, when I select the new bios file, it gives me the message of "The file size does not match existing BIOS size!"

Any ideas?
    Last edited by mark33180; 07-27-2010 at 01:25 PM.

Is the BIOS file of size 524288? (if you want to make absolutely sure that the BIOS file is the same you can run an md5sum on the file (Home of the MD5summer) and make sure that it gives an md5sum of 98b2716c8836c1859ec8ce92f48325e8)

And if that's all okay then I'd try doing the update using a DOS floppy disk (or bootable USB stick if you don't have a floppy) as described in the manual - perhaps awdflash is smarter than the EZ Flash 2 in the BIOS.
    (You could also try the Windows Updater, but presonally I'm always a little fearful of updating a BIOS under Windows)

Old bios is showing as 524288. New bios is showing 1048576. I changed the FSB to 1333 and the mem is at 800. It locks on reload, if I hard power it off I get a boot fail message.

Sounds like you've got the wrong BIOS file - the new one should also be 524288. Did you download it from the URL above?

Try increasing the FSB slowly in small increments to find out at what FSB speed you need to give a bit more voltage.

Ok got the correct updated bios going, changed the FSB to 1333 and when it reboots it shows it is running at 3.00GHz but when it gets to the windows screen it reboots. FSB memory clock mode set at unlinked, mem DDR is set at 800. Any other info needed to come to a conclusion?

So you're not quite stable at 3GHz. It would be really nice to know at what FSB you actually start to see instability so you know how far you can push things on stock voltage (and hence how much of a voltage boost you need to give your chip to get to 3GHz stable). Are you using the stock cooler or an aftermarket cooler?

(But as a quick and dirty measure you could try increasing the VCore Voltage in the Voltage Control menu.)

Cooling unit
    Newegg.com - ARCTIC COOLING Freezer 7 Pro Rev.2 92mm Fluid Dynamic CPU Cooler

Left voltage settings all to auto, wasn't sure about changing them so I'm sure that may be the problem.

I would try to increase the voltage in the BIOS a bit, maybe 0.05V or even 0.1V if you aren't running into any temperature issues.

Good luck!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information