Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Looking for upgrade help

Default Looking for upgrade help

Currently i am running this system....

Motherboard
    ASUS P5N-E SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 650i SLI ATX Intel Motherboard

Processor
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6600 Kentsfield 2.4GHz LGA 775 Quad-Core Processor BX80562Q6600

Video Card
    EVGA 640-P2-N829-AR GeForce 8800GTS SSC 640MB 320-bit GDDR3 PCI Express x16 HDCP Ready SLI Supported Video Card

Memory (x2) 4 gig total
    Crucial Ballistix 2GB (2 x 1GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory Model BL2KIT12864AA804

I run my games pretty good (Aion) until i get into massive PvP battles, FPS drops from about 50-60 down to 4-10 which makes things really difficult to compete. I am looking to upgrade and get things fixed to run better. Also i am currently using windows xp if that makes a difference, I know its not a 64 bit system and plan to swap to windows 7 64 bit soon. But need some help and suggestions to make performance better and massive PvP playable.

Default Re: Looking for upgrade help

Have you tried overclocking your Q6600? If you've got a G0 stepping chip you should be able to get a lot more than 2.4GHz out of it. (especially as from the reviews your P5N-E SLI seems to have legs when raising the FSB)

I'm not familiar with over clocking to be honest so I haven't tried doing that yet, I'll look into doing that and see if it will help boost performance.

Give it a go. It may improve your performance if your game is CPU bound (as opposed to GPU bound) And it's not really that hard as there's no dipswitches or jumpers that you have to play with nowadays - everything can be done from within the comfort of the BIOS. (Asus may even provide some sort of Windows utility that will let you perform simple overclocks from within the OS but usually these utilities aren't that good so many people still prefer using the BIOS)

Just do a bit of reading (the more the better really :) ) and try out a few conservative overclocks first, for example you could try raising your FSB to 333MHz (1333MHz quad-pumped) as your motherboard can run at that speed completely within spec and that would give you a solid 3.0GHz clockspeed.

As you try to push for further you may run into heat issues if you're using the stock cooler though (you can always buy an aftermarket cooler if you find that overclocking is fun and agrees with you ;) ).

There's also quite a few guides to overclocking Q6600's out there:
    Overclocking the G0 SLACR Q6600 to 4GHz Introduction :: TweakTown USA Edition
    Overclocking Intel's Core 2 Quad Q6600 | bit-tech.net
    Intel Core 2 Q6600 G0 Stepping: Cheap Quad Core Just Got Better - AnandTech :: Your Source for Hardware Analysis and News
    (and obviously many more)

Reviews for your motherboard can also be helpful as they'll usually tell you exactly what settings (voltages, etc) they needed to overclock the motherboard to a particular FSB speed.

If it was me I'd first find out if you've got a G0 stepping (using CPU-Z or something similar), that way you know'll how far you can should be able to push things ;)

Good luck and let us know how it goes!

From a quick skim of some forums it sounds like Aion should be fine running with 2GB of RAM so you're probably looking at either the CPU or the GPU not quite having enough horsepower. And hopefully with a little OCing fun you'll be able to narrow it down even further.

how can i check to see if i have the GO SLACR or the B3 stepping? not sure if i have the original box anymore.

The easiest way is to use CPU-Z:
    CPUID - System & hardware benchmark, monitoring, reporting
    In the "Revision" field it will show you.

Here's an example (from a B3):
    http://images.bit-tech.net/content_i...0-3347-p35.jpg

Give it a go. Hopefully you've got a G0 :)

Here are my cpuz pics i'm not sure what all i need to set things at to be able to overclock to a stable setting. Everything i am reading is saying that it runs very stable at 3ghz. any help would be appreciated. let me know if there is any further info that is needed
    Attachment 2744

Excellent! That looks good - you've got a G0 so you should have quite some fun overclocking that chip :)

I can't seem to update the bios it keeps telling em that the sizes don't match. currently using version 0901 current one on the asus website is 1401 any suggestions for updating it?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread Information