Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just crashes.....I h8 my luck!

If you are using the stock AMD fan with your 2100+, then I'd suggest getting a better heatsink/fan combo. You don't have to go all out, just something like the thermaltake Volcano 7. I've found the stock fans that AMD supplies to be a bit below par, especially the pink phase change material they use for heat transfer. I've had quite a few of them that just wouldn't run much below 50deg idle, even after changing to decent thermal paste. You shouldn't really need tons of case fans to get your temps to a reasonable level. As a reference my 1700+ runs at a cool 32deg idle under a Volcano 7 :)
    My Box:
    Intel Pentium 4 2.4C @ 2.7
    DFI 875P Lanparty
    512Mb Geil PC3500 Dual Channel (Cas 2-6-3-3 @450MHz DDR)
    Leadtek A280 Geforce4 4200 MyVIVO
    Audigy DE
    1 x 73Gb Seagate fibre channel 10krpm (boot drive) with LSI HBA
    1x80Gig Seagate Barracuda ATA V
    1x120Gig Western Digital 8mb cache
    Spiffy Antec Super Lanboy (LED fan and UV light)

I had the same problem with my comp. It would lock-up or BSOD and reboot only when I started to play a game. . I got a better heatsink and I still had problems. It turns out that my power supply was the problem. I replaced my old 300W PS then installed an Antec true power 550 and now it works fine. The was I tested this was I got a can of duster air turned it upside-down and sprayed it into my PS if this makes it play a little longer before crashing the that is your problem.
    When all else fails......sell it on eBay!

The first thing that I would have done was buy a good, all copper Heatsink and fan such as a ThermalRight AX7 or a GlobalWin CAK4 and some Arctic Silver 2 or 3, even before buying a new case. Your Temps are very high, I have Dual Athlon 2000MP's running on Tyan K7 Thunders and Tyan K7 Tigers and my CPU temps don't get above 50C under full load in 2U & 4U Rack Mount chassis, which are harder to keep cool then standard ATX Mid Tower cases. The all Aluminum AMD Stock HSF just don't cut it for the higher clocked CPU's, I've got a whole pile of them sitting on my shelf from all of the retail AthlonMP's that I have bought and have never even used a single one. Good Luck with your new system.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread Information