Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: amd Phenom II x4 965 temp help

Default amd Phenom II x4 965 temp help

HWmonitor lists my idle at 44c.
    I ran Prime95 and got up to 63c.

965 FBGMBOX
    Artic Cooling 64 pro.
    motherboard MA790XT-UD4P

Case Thermaltake Shark VA7000BWA

What should I do to get the idle lower?

Default Re: amd Phenom II x4 965 temp help

Hi there,

these Phenom ii's do run hot and I encountered the same problem when I was running one of these chips.

Your choice of cooler isn't the best and it would be better if you looked at improving it. I switched to the Noctua NH-D14 and I saw my temperatures drop dramatically. There are plenty of good CPU coolers on the market but, as they say, "You pays your money, you takes your choice".

I am now running a 1090T with a modest Overclock and I rarely see my temps rise above 30C, no matter how busy the CPU is.

Not sure if this helps but I just re did my hsf cleaned it and put new thermal on. My room temp is 20c and my Idle is 42c. I got 1 intake fan and one outtake and then the hsf.
    amd Phenom II x4 965 temp help-untitled-jpg

Hi there,

as you can see from this image my temps are a lot lower. My ambient, at the moment is about 18C. My PC Case is a NZXT Tempest Evo which has 6 case fans so is really good at pushing air through the case, which helps a lot.

If you don't want to change your cooler you could try reducing your CPU voltage as this will help bring the temperatures down a bit. I'm not sure how far you will be able to pull the voltage back but as you can also see, my 1090T is running at only 1.3V and I know when I was running the same CPU as you are using, I was able to pull the voltage back quite a bit before it fell over.

Okay good news I think. I swapped my pc out into antec 900 case its system temp went to 28c idle and the cpu is at 36c idle under load the cpu got to 56c in prime so seems I'm good I did clock it down to 1.376. I'm still gonna go ahead and get the Cooler master HAF 932 case and the Cooler Master v8 cooler or a Noctua cooler.

Hi again,

changing the PC Case has probably helped a lot as you are now getting a better airflow.

From personal experience I would go for a Noctua Cooler as they are really efficient and almost silent but, I have to admit, before I got my Noctua I had been tempted by the Coolermaster V8. The reason that I went for the Noctua NH-D14 in the end was that it beat the V8 hands down in a lot of the tests I came across whilst doing my research and I decided the extra money it cost was worth it.

As I said, I noticed my temps drop immediately I swapped and you might like to look at this item I posted over at the Gigabyte UK forum: Do you really need water cooling to gain lower temps?

use after market cooler v8 will do
    Phenom II X4 965 BE
    Team Elite 4gb single stick ddr3 1333
    Asus M4A88TD-M
    Seagate 1Tb 7200.12rpm 6gb/s
    Seagate 320gb 7200.11rpm 3gb/s
    Lite-on all Rw Lightscribe
    Ac3 alienware casing
    Powerline 650watts modular
    Powercolor AMD 5770
    Windows 7 Ultimate 64bit

What's the dust situation? That can help massively, I had 7 degrees drop for my previous Phenom II X3 720 using the stock cooler :)

Now with the new AMD GPU drivers it is possible to under/over clock your CPUs and hence when my processor is idling it automatically lowers the frequency to 800MHz and also lowers the voltage and it keeps on bumping the frequency upto 3.6GHz if it is under significant load.

This really helps with the CPU temperatures :)

Thread Information