Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Overclocking Athlons

Some may find this interative Athlon XP/Duron bridge manipulation guide of help (NOTE: does not work with Thoroughbreds) for unlocking and changing of multipliers plus changing the default vcore settings. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I haven't bridged L1 yet but I don't think that's going to be a problem. But the thing is, how do I tell what my multiplier is at right now? And how do I change it in the Bios, I don't see anything about the mulitplier in the Bios. I basically have everything on default right now except for the FSB. I really appreciate all your help guys. This is the nicest forum I've been to. Once again thanks...

Since your running a KT133 based board, I'd be willing to bet money that you have a T-Bird 1000MHz processor with default settings of 10x multiplier and 100MHz FSB. These processors will generally go much higher without any trouble, but your motherboard is really going to be the limiting factor still.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

You are right on the money about that. Even with the mobo being the limiting factor. What can I get or do with what I got. I mean, what would you do or recommend I do? It doesn't have to be anything too extreme, this is only my first time at this that is. I just won't to get as much juice as possible with what I got, know what I mean...

Go into the BIOS and make sure that there is a way to adjust the clock multiplier on your board. If you can, then go ahead and unlock the processor using the pencil trick or something more permanent if you like. From there, it will just take some trial and error to see how high you can get the system to run with any degree of stability.

Oh, and before you start, make sure that you know how to reset the CMOS values. This will save some heartache when your system locks completely down on you the first time and refuses to reboot. Resetting the CMOS at this time will cure your problems 99 times out of 100. :)
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

I just looked in the Bios and I don't see anything about or on the multiplier, either that or I'm just blind. Anyways, does this mean I'm out of luck or what? Or can I adjust it manually on the mobo? And if I go ahead and unlock it(CPU) will it hurt the prcocessor itself if I don't overclock or can't get it to overclock? Oh, and yes I know how to reset the CMOS.

Ok Rice-a-Roni to change your multiplier requires the maniplulation of 2 jumpers and a dip switch block on your mobo. Page 40 in the manual for it will explain what you have to do. If you don't have a manual d/l one from here. ;)

A few ppl have found the benefits of swappin' out the mobo with a KT266A or KT333 based one. Not only does just the DDR memory make a huge difference to performance but most also force the CPU to use the 133MHz FSB (7.5 x 133MHz = 1GHz) and most will run close to 1.4GHz. :D

Beefy Guest

Another thing that could be of benefit, if you didn't want to upgrade to DDR just yet, is to simply get a board with the KT133A chipset. That little 'A' on the end makes a bit of a difference...

Ok, Wiggo I know of the jumpers you are talking about but please forgive my ignorence but what do I do next. I mean, looking at the manual, I have a 1ghz athlon so by default I have the switches like this: off off off on. Now if I want to "overclock" or whatever, how do I know which postions the switches are suppose to be in or do I make any sense.

And beefy, thanks for the tip for the upgrade but I plan to build me another pc soon so I just want to get the most out of what I got. And maybe on my next rig, I'll have more experience and won't ask so many questions.... :D :thumb:

Just try the 10.5 multiplier 1st (on on on on) and if ok just try the 11 multiplier and so on testing for stability at each step (may need a little more voltage to the CPU to fix and up to 1.85volts is fine). If you get to the stage that the system black screens on boot, just clear the CMOS and set it back to the last working multiplier then start on the FSB to see what little extra you may find.
    Good luck. :thumb:

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information