Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: AMD tweaks

Here are my specs:

1.4 AMD Athlon
    512 SDRam
    asus a7a mobo
    80gig 7200rpm hard drive
    geforce 2 mx400 32 mb
    plextor 24x speed burner
    dragon orb 3 heatsink

Could someone help me tweak this and show me what I need to do to make my pc the best it can

Thanks
    Ukssm:afro:

Are you under some kind of limited budget? Is it possible to get a little higher when it comes to video card? If you still want really cheap but alot faster then the geforce 2mx try getting a geforce 4mx. What about ram is it possible to go DDR?

What ReSpAwN DeMoN is tryin' to say is that the best perfomance boost you could get would be to switch over to a KT333 or KT400 motherboard (a 8K3A would be good) and DDR memory as this alone will give that 1.4GHz Athy ya got another lease of life. And yes your video card could do with an upgrade. : peace2:

But besides that if ya broke like most of us ( :laugh: ) then this guide, http://www.tweaktown.com/document.ph...de&dId=376 , should help ya extract that bit more from what you have while you ponder the above. ;)

Good luck. :thumb:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Say Guy,
    It appears you have the ole need to eat before purchasing more expensive, but better parts syndrom. Obviously in the meantime you'd want better your Mobo's stance. Hell who would'nt. Ok, got three 'puters and one that has simular configuations. Awhole lot of tweaking going on here. With that in mind can tell you that you've got at least a couple of other options avalible, if not so obvious and if'n you'd not done so as yet.
    A) Bios memory settings- push em till you get insatability then back off.(should be at least 3-4 of 'em)ultra and less time is usually better
    B) Bios-Quick Boot-Ide first device-Floppy drive seek disabled(unless needed)-L1,L2cahes enabled-Graphic win size-64-128 better-Primary=AGP-Disable onboard Lan,sound etc.if you have the cards installed-Enable USB-should be cooking at least 133 on the bus might try pushing it at little till unstability,just reset bios and start over if you have any problems-Memory and Bus frenquencies can on most boards be adjustable to some degree.
    C) Ironically the less of windows the better, but if you must,you must. You can speed up those down loads and increase your stability by turn all of your Java script off.(in internet options)Yes you'll miss out on the odd dancing tweekle-dee, but you also gain the ability to avoid viruses as basically 100% of viruses need the Java script on to be able to load on your computer. That in and of it's self should give you a performance boost not having to run virus software.And if you do need the the J.V.S. on for somthing just pop on in to the internet options and hit the default on your security features.(be sure to turn back off though.
    Just a couple of ideas on adding a little octane to the fuel.
    B.B

Be real careful of the KT400 mobos....a recent article at the Register or Inquirer recently highlighted the fact that the KT400 chipset doesn't have a 6 times divider for the PCI bus (despite some mobo makers saying they have) VIA have definitely stated that the chipset does not have the 6X divisor.
    The older I get...the better I was

Rumour has it from a few sourses now that the KT400 is doomed to the KT266 fate soon and will soon likely have a successor due to several lacking features and mediocre performance gains in most cases. :?:

Another reason for me goin' with the KT333 board. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I agree Wiggo especially with your choice of boards.

It is really sacrey though that I bought my Epox 8kta3 mobos only a bit over12 months ago and they are already incapable of being flashed to cater for even XP chips let alone the Tbreds......

I usually counted on bursts of upgrades to stay just behind the bleeding edge about every 18 months to 2 years....now it's two generations behind in a bit over 12 months....sheesh....but the systems are meeting the needs pretty well anyway so they'll survive for a while....
    The older I get...the better I was

Thread Information