Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Intel Processor Base GHz Numbers...wny not higher?

kephafan is offline Junior Member

Default Intel Processor Base GHz Numbers...wny not higher?

I have noticed that the new Intel Core i7 4790K will have a base frequency of 4 GHz.
    I've been seeing 3.x base frequencies for so long that I'm wondering why the base numbers are not at 5,6, or 7 by now?
    Is it just as simple as the chipset technology hasn't reached those numbers?

Default Re: Intel Processor Base GHz Numbers...wny not higher?

Update: I sent an email to Intel to ask them this very same question. I will post their response...

Default Re: Intel Processor Base GHz Numbers...wny not higher?

Here is the email response I received from Intel:
    "In response to your inquiries, right now we make processors based on the current needs and technologies so we may expect to have processors that can handle that speed that you mentioned in the future.
    Also our current processors can handle up to 4GHz as you said, but if you compare the ones that currently exist with a processor that was made 8 years ago, at that moment we never expected to see a processor that can handle the current speeds that we have nowadays. Additionally the processor features are made based on current market and corporate decisions."

Thread Information