Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: AMD PR Rating

Well i think its pretty safe to say that the PR rating is to make sure they dont just sell CPUs to those who know that the performance isnt reflected by only the GHz...

The comon man that doesnt know that much about computers would look at a intel and a AMD system and go "this intel computer has more ghz so it must be faster"

In my opinion the p4 architecture was a a trade off, they made the CPU slower but it could handle higher clockrates.
    Thus making it faster in the longrun and making it look a lot better on paper then amd.

And from the little i have seen it seems like the AMD k8 architecture is moving in the opposite direction, lower clockrates and higher performance..
    I heard a RUMOUR state that the K8 3200+ would be 1.6Ghz

Qoute
    "However, we still hope to present the first tests of the ClawHammer before Christmas. Most of the motherboard manufacturers have samples with a clock speed of 1.6 GHz, labeled unofficially as "XP 3200+."
    http://www6.tomshardware.com/mainboa...017/index.html

The AMD PR Rating is used for exactly what it says: PR.
    Professional/Personal Relations are tweaked/propagandated info for the masses (consumers) that mean to tell the truth in light of the company. Take it or leave. The table above (which if you read throu this thread, youll know i wasnt entirely aware of) is your guide to wonderful land of Athlon XP processors. Come join us now as we take a trip to this happy happy place...

[EDIT] I understand PR means Performance Rating, it just adds to my point to call it Professional/Persoanl Relations, which is in fact, what AMD uses it for on a mass marketing basis...

Havent we had this convo before? It was stated on AMD's website that a 1600+ is equal to the 1.6ghz pentium chip 2200+ = 2.2ghz etc. Now they don't always match up but that is what was stated on AMD's website :thumb:
    New Sig soon, old one was way outdated.

:thumb:

Quote Originally Posted by pga1234
    ...but that is what was stated on AMD's website :thumb:
    Exactly, my friend, exaclty. What the big companies say goes. WRONG. We should atand up for our rights as consumers and demand to know the whole truth about what we spend our hard earned dollars on. Big business will not boss us around anymore, let us bring the man to his kness...

...then we can all go to that happy happy place together...

i have a vague memory that the PR rating was acctually announced to reflect the performance of a P4, but there was some problems or someone got sued or something and they changed it to the thunderbird core.

Quote Originally Posted by jolle
    i have a vague memory that the PR rating was acctually announced to reflect the performance of a P4, but there was some problems or someone got sued or something and they changed it to the thunderbird core.
    I love how no matter what thread, what forum, what topic we're in ^He can always post useful (sometimes useless) trustable(sometimes far too repeated) information pertaining to the matter at hand.... no matter what i said previous to his post when i was living la vida loca con la mota...

Oh, and nobody at AMD got sued for anything pertaining to the PR rating of the XP processor lineup, Cyrix got a small suit on their desks 7 or 8 years ago when they used a PR rating that specifically compared their processors to the (better at the time) Intel lineup. AMD just took note of previous companies failures against Intel and acted accordingly...

[EDIT] To my recollection (this all happened before i hit puberty) the suit wasnt settled in favor of Intel...

hehe.. what can I say?
    I do at times.. rarly (often that is) get overexited to show that i know something about the topic.. so I rarly (all the time) skim the replies and end up repeating what others said..
    Sad but true.. but what can I do? hehe

But that PR rating is gonna be pretty important if they wanna sell any clawhammer CPUs later on (or is that server only?)
    anyhow (think i posted this somewhere recently) i read that the 3200+ is only a puny 1.6Ghz.. doesnt look like much, but with that rating the clawhammer must be one hell of a architechture.
    has to be all those pins.. hehe

read it over at TH
    [url]http://www.tomshardware.com/mainboard/02q4/021017/index.html

Gee I wish that AMD had left that old page of their's up just to prove to some of you that it was in no way used to compare the AthlonXP to a P4 but to compare a Thunderbird with an SSE enabled Palamino only. Review sites are who using AMD's PR system against P4's. :(
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Yeah they do, and its too bad since the P4 is faster in most cases that way(still not all benches)...
    Seemed like the P4 won most the game benches, and the athlon most program benches, unfortunatly HyperThreading seemed to make alot of progs faster, and not games, so AMD is in for a hard time now it seems..
    Maybe they should compare them in price ranges instead.
    seems like the only fair deal now when they are so far appart in clockranges and stuff..

I am waiting for the newer "B" core chips so I can make use of the 333mhz DDR ram, at the mo its just sitting there waiting for my XP1900, my m/b Asus A7V8X says it will handle an amd processor up to 2.6GHZ, what XP rating is that ?
    • Q: What is the difference between erotic sex and kinky sex?
    A: During erotic sex you use a feather, during kinky sex you use the whole chicken.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread Information