Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: AMD CPU and System Temps

Yesturday night I thought that I'd just see if there was any cooling diffrence between my copper based HSF, and the one that came with my CPU, I took the copper based one off, and wiped off the left over paste that was there and put on the AMD certified HSF, with the rubber bottom etc... (I did take off the plastic, just incase someone asks).

I plugged in the fan, made sure it was on properly (It was at the right angle) And turned on my computer, it went on for about 2 seconds, then turned itself off, I quickly checked to see if everything was in place properly again, and turned it on again, and it does the same thing.

By this time I'm thinking that I'm going to have to dig out another 100 for a new CPU, so I put on the copper based HSF on again, and turned it on to find that it works perfectly.

I guess that the rubber crap that they put on their HSF's isn't that great, it didn't even leave much of a print either, so it would of just got really hot really quickly, thank the comp' fairy that this board has ABS II enabled on it, so it shuts it's self down if the temperature rises too rapidly.

The moral of this little story is, don't trust the HSF that comes along with your non-OEM AMD Athlon, because they aren't that great, and could mess up your hardware (It has happened once before, so I can make that point).

Buy a HSF that's specs are higher than your CPU, and scratch off that nasty cheap rubber stuff if it has any, and replace it with good ol' Artic Silver. :thumb:

yep Artic Silver and nothing else!

Lucky escape!
    Machine Specs

1300 MHz Athlon 200FSB
    Dr Cooler Aluminium heat sink thin layer of arctic Silver, 34CFM Fan
    360Mb 100 MHz SDRam
    80Gb IBM Deskstar 7200RPM
    6.4 GB Fujitsu Hard Drive
    64 Mb GeForce4 Gainward Pro XP Golden Sample Video Card VIVO
    Graphics Core 320/ Memtory 601
    Iiyama 17 Diamond Mitsubishi Tube Vision Master Pro
    300W power supply
    SB16 Card
    Delta Rear Exhaust Fan 80 CFM
    Evergreen Front Intake Fan 34 CFM
    Case Mod Holes drilled in spare 3.25 floppy bay to allow delta fan to eliminate CPU hot spot and general dust suck in
    Yamaha Speakers
    16x, 4x, 48x Philips 1600 CRW
    50x CD Rom
    Gigabyte GA7-ZM Motherboard
    Temp CPU 44-46C, Case 24-26C, Room 21-22C

Yep the crap ain't good and the HSF's ain't much better (probably why I have a box full of them) which is why only Volcano 7+'s are used here (and no, forget the f@#kin' 9). :devil:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by Wiggo
    Yep the crap ain't good and the HSF's ain't much better (probably why I have a box full of them) which is why only Volcano 7+'s are used here (and no, forget the f@#kin' 9). :devil:
    I'm using an oem hsf at the moment, due to my elite fan placing skills, and artic silver being used properly, not to mention bundling and stowing away the wires for good air flow..I'm running a good 32c, but it's not OC'ed enough to actually heat it up. I'm gonna get a volcano 9 tonight and some faster beefier case fans. My case temp hits 40c sometimes.. not acceptible.
    Work in progress..
    AMD Athlon XP 1800+ (@1.72ghz higher soon..)
    Gigabyte GA7VAXP (VIA KT400)
    256mb Samsung PC2700 DDR
    GeForce 4 MX420 (too broke to replace it with a real card)

Quote Originally Posted by [size=6
    Fallen deity[/size]]
    I'm gonna get a volcano 9 tonight and some faster beefier case fans.
    Some ppl just don't listen do they? If the 9 was good then I'd save $5aus by usin' them. :hammer:

The 7+ performs better than the 9 and is much quieter while doin' so (by 3-5C).

If ya want coolin' and noise then get the Volcano 11 (a 7+ heatsink with SMART FAN II fitted). :devil win

You guys got it all wrong. When my systems internal temp gets too warm I dont spend more money on more fans. I open the windows. When my cpu temp gets down around 20C I close the window. It is hard on the plumbing in the house though. The darn pipes freeze quickly at -25F. It is a fair trade off though.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

Seriously though; I am running a volcanoe 7+ and I love it because it is so versatile. When I am just cruising the net I leave it on the low setting and my temps run cpu 43C and my system at 29C. If I game with cpu running at 75% or more I set the fan to medium and keep the cpu at 48C and system stays around 32C. The high setting should only be needed for Overclocking in my opinion. I have sensitive ears though. If your ears don't care then the High setting should keep your 2000xp Palamino under 40 at idle. At least on my rig. It is cold as can be here so my info may not apply to you folks down under.
    By the way, any of you folks ever make it down to the pole. I was lucky enough to get as far a Mc Murdo NAS in 2001. No cooling problems there.
    Athlon 2000+
    epox 8kha+
    768MB crucial/micron DDR pc2100
    Pine geforce 2 AGP mx400
    SB Audigy mp3+
    20 GB Western Digital
    Creativelabs 52x CDROM
    Buslink 40x12x48 burner
    Asynchronus digital subscriber loop

Now that is o/c heaven. :devil win

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread Information