Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: xp1600+ on ECSk7s5a ...clocking error

got an xp1600+ installed in an ECS k7s5a mb. running win98se, 512 mb 133 sdram, 64mb geforce 2 mx, 40 gig ata 100 WD hd. Cmos sees the processor as 100/100 & clocks it at 1052 mhz. I can change the settings to 133/133 but if the system boots at all; it locks up almost immediately. Any suggestions on this problem would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
    Koalacom

You sure the Athlon XP is even compatible with that board?

Yes... the SiS chipset used in this board is compatible with the AthlonXP processor.

koalacom,
    Also double check the BIOS to make sure that you're not trying to give conflicting instructions to the system (jumper to 133 and BIOS to 100) or something similar. If you search around the web, you should be able to find any number of optimization guides for the chipset you're using.

Also, if the board is automatically trying to pick up your processor multiplier, it should be set to 10.5 as default. If it is a locked processor (likely), then it won't work at anything other than this setting.

Good luck. :D
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

There's no jumper but are you using memory that will run at 133Mhz is my thought. :?:
    <center> </center>

Beefy Guest

I've got a similar question. I've got a MSI K7T Pro2-A board, and was wondering if I could run a XP 1600+ from my board....

Sorry Beefy, but your board uses the older KT133 chipset and it isn't compatible with the Athlon XP processors. May want to double check the MSI site for a BIOS update to make sure, but I haven't heard of any of these chipset boards being able to use the XP yet.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill
    My Toys

Tried changing the settings in cmos to 133/100 and it runs but of course this doesn't utilize the 1600's full potential. There are no other settings I've found to tweak in the cmos and no jumpers on the board to manually set. Bought and installed 512 mb of SD133 Kingston ram today thinking there was possibly a mis-match since the previous ram was specific to a SIS 630 chipset on a VIA KX133 board. Changing the ram didn't help at all. The AMI bios I'm running is the latest available, so I don't believe that's the problem. Presently, the system is booting at 1052mhz........which is't bad; but it's not the 1400 I expected so I'm still searching for the answer. The ECS site is about useless and the company I purchased the barebones from is even worse.....for potential customers; American Computech is their name.....beware. Thanks to all of you trying to help me with this problem. By the way; I'm running on a different computer. Mine is an Athlon 900. My son's system is the one with the problem. I guess it's tough when all the shooters don't work right aye?

Sounds very strange as I've got one here with a 1.2GHz C Athlon in it and it runs great and hasn't crashed since being assembled about 2 months ago so maybe ya just got a bad board. :smokin:
    <center> </center>

it hasn't got one of those "+33" ram speed settings has it, maybe your ram is running at 166 by accident when u choose 133 fsb...

just a thought
    sKuLLsHoT
    www.morb.ath.cx

No sks it doesn't as it just shows the CPU to Mem ratio. ;)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information