Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: abnormal shutdown

My system has been shutting itself down for some unknown reason. It usually happens overnight.

I'm not having any problems at all when I'm using it, but after it's idle for sometime, it just shuts down. When this happens, I have to turn the power switch off and right back on before I can reboot.

I've checked the system and CPU temperature using the hardware monitor and they are well within the limits. The CPU is running at 48 degrees Centigrade and the system is 37 degrees centigrade.

I am running a pc DDR mainboard socket-A with an AMD Duron 1.3 processor. 2 hard drives, a DVD rom, CD-RW, ATI radeon 7500 all-in-wonder pro graphics, (2) 256 Pc-133 memory sticks, 5.1 sound card.

Any suggestions as to what might be causing the problem will be greatly appreciated.

Sounds like a PSU issue. What is your PSU wattage and how many watts is it reading in the bios? Also do you have anything dangling or anything lose in ur case? Seomthing as simple as a screw can cause a short out. Which can lead to things like power shut down (safety feature) or even worse death of a component.

I have a 350 watt power supply. My hardware monitor doesn't show a wattage reading.

I will take the system apart and see if I can find anything loose.

But, I am puzzled on why it would start all of a sudden to shutdown by itself when it is idle.

I don't have any problems when I am on the system for long periods of time.

Thanks for the response.

The wattage reading would be in the BIOS.

I don't seem to have a wattage reading in the BIOS, unless I'm looking in the wrong place

I have voltage readings only.
    vcore = 1.744
    vcc 2.5v =2.432
    vcc3.3 v = 3.2
    vcc 5v = 4.9
    +12v = 12v
    -12v = -12
    SB5V = 4.4
    VBAT = 3.1

lol my bad! That's what I ment! :rolleyes2

Looks like your voltages are fine. It really could have been that. Um but ya check for something just sitting there shortening it out.

remember it could be someting as small as a screw. My friend had a screw stuck in between the back of the board and the mounting tray that happened to touch the wrong part of the board and caused it to smoke out.

Also another thing to check however common sense is......the power cable. Yes I know it sounds stupid but I had this done to me too. Where it was just lsoe that it would fall out and lose its connection with the terminals. All you have to do is simply touch it doeds the PC turn off? Is the cable solid but yet a broken connection somewhere? When you touch it? Let us know.

I was wondering about the power cable, so I tried turning the power off on the surge protecter to see what would happen.
    When I tried that, I was able to reboot by hitting the reboot button without turning the power switch off and back on.

When my problelm occurs, the system shuts down on its own, I can't just hit the reboot switch. I have to reset the power by turning the power switch off and then back on before the reboot button will activate.

What's really weird is as long as I'm using the computer, I don't have a problem. I've never had it shut down while I'm using it.
    Almost like the power saver is shutting it down. If that were true, I shouldn't have to reset the power by turning the switch off and back on.

Thanks for giving me suggestions.

just a thought but have you gone into the control panel and checked out the power settings? the computer might just be going into suspend mode and taking forever to get out...Ya might want to check that...not that i am a power user or anything...just getting there ;)

Go into the control panel and under admin tools is the Event Viewer. Check in that if some error is being logged in there as a reason for these shutdowns. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thread Information