Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new components opinions / video card selection

Hello all,

I'm about to purchase new components as the start of a new system and wanted to get some feedback before I do. Any reactions? These look like they'd work together okay? The big question is, which video card do I choose? I'd like to simply get an AIW 9700 Pro, but don't think I can swing the price. What do you recommend in the sub-$200 range good for gaming / 2D apps / DVDs?

Here are the components I'm thinking of (note I'll use old components, like my crappy dvd drive, until I get more money to add to this system):

1 Asus A7N8X Deluxe w/ Athlon XP 2600+ 333 FSB, heatsink, fan, thermal grease, 1-yr warranty (monarchcomputer.com) -- 480
    1 stick 512MB Corsair PC2700 CAS2 DDR CMX512-2700LL (2-2-2-5-T1) -- $175
    1 Western Digital 120GB hard drive WD1200JB (8MB Cache) -- $150
    1 Antec Plus 1080AMG w/ 430W PS case -- $130
    1 floppy drive generic -- $10
    1 video card - Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9500 128mb 8x ($180)?

With that mobo you'd be much better off with Corsair XMS3200/3500 as the memory speed will be 200MHz with that CPU and mobo combo plus you'll need 2 x 256MB sticks so that ya can use both memory controllers. This will give ya the best performance available for any Athlon platform. :devil win

As for ya choice of video card I find it hard to go past Leadtek's WinFast 128MB A280 LE TD MyVIVO for value and performance. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Thanks! That's an intriguing video card recommendation.

Re memory: I read benchmarks somewhere suggesting that upgrading from 2700 to 3200/3500 mattered less than having lower latency 2700. I also heard a rumor that there have been problems with the A7N8X and Corsair. Anybody care to comment on either of these? Oh, and note that I'm planning on getting a second stick of 512 to take advantage of the dual memory controllers, yes, but my significant other won't let me do it all at once. :-(

Anybody care to comment on the WD1200JB vs. a DiamondMax 9 120GB w/8MB cache?

Thanks again...

Asus mobo's that don't have voltage adjustments may have given ya that idea but this 6-way nForce2 mobo roundup uses Corsair XMS3200 as did most others when reviewing these mobo's and AMD's latest DDR333 CPU's. :devil win

As for the DiamondMax 9 my experiences of Maxtor + Overclockin' = :thumbs do so : peace2:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

Quote Originally Posted by saanobhaai

1 video card - Sapphire Atlantis Radeon 9500 128mb 8x (0)?
    there's an excellent chance this card will be mod-able into a Radeon9700 - or did you already know that?

Thread Information