Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Compaq Presario ?

After suggestions to my first post I am about ready to build a system. Then I read the paper last night.

Compaq Presario 6430NX

17" .24 Flat Screen monitor
    HP deskjet 3420 printer
    AMD XP 2600+
    Integrated ProSavage DDR KM266 graphics
    DVD 16X
    CD-RW 48x24x48
    512mb DDR ram (2100mhz)
    120 gig hard drive
    10/100 ethernet

Sorry, forgot to add the price, $879.91

Having never built a computer before, this looks good to me. I can use it for a year or two and then change motherboard and ram and add a video card for an upgrade. Sound deduction or wishful thinking? I defer to your opinion. What do you think? Can this system be overclocked? I would appreciate your response as the sale is today only. Thank you

Jim

Build the system yourself you'll learn a lot from it and you can get descent ram and video card.PRobably be cheaper too.:devil:And most manufacturers mod the bios to stop overclocking so thats another reason to build your own.:smokin:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

Yes most hardware tweakin' will be non-exsistant with that setup plus several parts are below par so you'll be better off doin' one ya self or havin' a custom built job done at a good small PC shop. ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

The compaq looks like a great deal but you have to accept its limitations if you buy it. My system is a Compaq and has actually served me fairly well but when the time comes to upgrade you are very limited:
    Not sure if Compaq has changed much in the last couple of years in their way of doing things but overclocking anything (except the video card) is not possible due to the lack of accessible options in bios.
    The motherboard can not be changed to a standard atx formfactor board due to the fact that the case is not a standard size.
    The only real way to do a proper upgrade on the thing is to buy a case, mobo, and psu then transfer everything else over from the old carcass.
    So far with my system I've been able to keep it going and still running the newest of games at an acceptable framerate but it has been interesting upgrading and getting around the built in limitations. The mobo on this one came with the current duron 750 and from what I can find on Compaqs' website the best they used on the same mobo was a 1 gig ... gonna see if a 950 will work on it tomorrow. Bottom line .... if I could do it again I'm not so sure I'd go for the cheap Compaq but it was in my budget and it did get me "in the game".
    Antec 900 case (4 120mm and 1 200mm lighted fans + UFO flashing light set + 2 12" and 1 6" Mutant Mods meteor lights) - Aerogate ll thermal controller - Asus M2N-e SLI - AMD 64 X2 AM2 6400+ - Corsair TX650 PSU - MSI 450GTS Cyclone OC - 2 X 2GB Patriot Extreme Performance PC2 6400 RAM - SATA 320 GB Seagate HD, SATA 300GB Maxtor HD and IDE 80 GB Samsung HD - Floppy Drive/Card Reader Combo - LG SuperMulti Lightscribe 18x DVD RW - Plextor PX-716A DVD r/rw - Windows 7 Home Premium 64

Crude but Effective ... it is a way of life.

if your gaming on this system u will shoot yourself whenm u see the graphics. DO NOT GET THE PROSAVAGE. My friend had it (a lower version, but just by one notch) and it sucked so bad that he went out and bought a GF4 MX460 SE.The intergrated crape cant even pull a nice desktop background, with his old computer being able to do it better with same res.. The old comp was like the worst GF2 u could get, so try and mind a better deal if u still want to by. Fry's Electronics has a good deal on an HP (the 734n)we bought it and i am pleased with it, but u cant overclock like on normal of the shelfstuff. It is an Athalon XP2400+, KT266 Board(dont know make) 512 PC2100, and a very lux. GF4 MX420 w/64 MB onboard. It is 799 when we got it 3 weeks ago, may have dropped, and it was not a sale item. Like i said if u still want to build go with this system. There is one wierd thing though. My system(the hp is my mom's), which i built is an athalon 900 MHz w/512 PC133 and a KT133-b (a Soyo SY-K7VTA-B), and has a Leadtek A250 TD (GF4 TI4400, 128 MB). Guess who one on 3D Mark 01 SE(the hp does not support most of 03 features) Mine did by anywhere from 1000 to 5000 POINTS!!!!!. Looks like an old homebuilt can beat the highclass, shiny-new hp 734n

P.S. AMD kicks Intels butt

Admittedly some of the price points to be found in the manufactured systems can be quite attractive.

But Prairie Dawg speaks wisely, be aware of the limitations.
    If you have the desire to build your own, then I encourage you to do so. You will learn so much more than you would by reading the "Quick Set-up Guide" that it isn't even funny.

You will have more options for future upgrades and gain a lot of confidence as well. Those Compaq's don't even have a BIOS that is accessible to the user, so any major tweaking is simply out of the question.

Now some folks can purchase one of those systems and be happy as a clam, while others may be a bit more demanding and require a bit more flexibility.

The choice is your's, but I encourage you to take the leap and build your own. It does require a good deal of research -- but hey! no problem, you're on the web right:D And a non-magnetic #1 phillips screwdriver (and if you want to go all out, get one with the built on clip to hold those screws for you -- I love mine.)

And of course, some spendable cash.

Would you rather wait on the phone for technical support, or do you want to be your own tech support
    The reason a diamond shines so brightly is because it has many facets which reflect light.

:barf: :barf: :barf:

Whoa! nelly! do not get a compaq persario eeek! they are total and complete crap :thumbs do :no:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Now I wouldn't go that far.

They're plenty good at bein' a reliable office machine plus I have several here either crunchin' SETI w/u's or they're waitin' to become internet clients in my new business venture (and crunch SETI w/u's). ;)
    <center>:cheers:</center>

w/u's?:?:
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Rplacing the MOBO...I dunno since my last Compaq was some 7 years ago...but they had sealed screws and i was never able to remove the mobo.

Build your own...like someone said already you learn ALOT from...it and fix problems on your own...its a real nice experience.
    - Damien

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information