Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: A celeron or pentium based computer?

I own a computer shop and two of the packages I prepared is a celeron based computer and the other one a pentium based computer. I sometimes get confused which of the 2 package will I recommend to the customer. If you were about this, which package will you recommend? Can you include the reason why you choose that package?

Thanks.

I would recommend the pentium. This is because if you had a celeron 1.4 ghz and a pentium 4 1.4ghz the pentium would be faster. This is because of the way it handles data and the number of processes the two take each second.I'm sure one of the other member will be able to give you the exact number of cycles and processes they both do.:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

But if we consider the price, is the price difference worth the performance of a pentium 4 compared to celeron?

What does pentium 4 has that a celeron cannot do?

I have tried using a pentium and celeron of the same speed, and it seems that the speed difference is just very small.

Ok it all boils down to this.....what the customer is going to use it for. Lets say a customer wants a computer to browse the internet do some word processing and light load stuff like that, The best one for that person would be the celeron becuz its cheap and it'll get the job done. But then a person comes in and wants a rig for computer games, graphics designing and things like that that person would need the extra power of the pentium 4 as especially in Games you can clearly see the difference in power. :thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I agree with rugbydude. If you are selling computers to people you must always interview (interogate) them to determine what their needs and expectations are concerning the rig. You must then recommend a configuration suitable to these needs and considerations. If you do not do this with every customer, you will not have a lot of repeat business as many of them will be disappointed with your product. It is even interesting to include teenage children of customers in the interview as their expectations often far exceed those of the parents.

What I try and do is simply this...

Every week I revise 8 "templates" as I'll call them. 4 AMD rigs, and 4 Pentium 4 rigs (when I say P4 I also include the Celeron and the Xeon). What I come up with is like this:

Package A: Integrated SOHO system, very low end. ECS K7SOM mainboard (integrated CPU) that I can sell to someone for under 500 CDN$.
    B is similar to A, everything integrated, except it's using a Celeron 2.0ghz, and I sell that machine for just over 600 CDN$.
    C & D are identical except for board and cpu's... For the AMD rig, I use an Athlon XP 2000+ w/ an MSI KT4VL mainboard, and for the P4 I use a 2.4GHz P4. Both priced around the 800 - 900 CDN$ mark.
    E & F are higher end desktop machines, in the market of the 2600+ AMD proc w/ an nForce2 mainboard, and a P4 2.53 w/ the Gigabyte SINXP1394 (SiS655). Both dual channel memory mainboards. And the base price on those is 1400 CDN$ a peice.
    G & H are your typical ... all out, lastest hardware gotta have the best of the best type rigs :) Dont' get too many orders for those, but if nothing else, gives me an idea of how much my next upgrade is gonna cost me :D And they are typically (this week) the Athlon 3000+ system, is going for 2800 CDN$, and the P4 3.06 is going for 2500, both equally equipped.

From there, I basically do what's already been said, talk to them, whip out the price sheets for all the systems and "upgrades" to the systems (upgrade from a dvd/cdrw combo drive to seperate drives, more memory, faster cpu (where applicable), etc)... and Basically ask them what it is they're gonna be using their machine for, and how much room for upgrades they want in the future. I sell quite a few of my C & D machines just as advertised, no upgrades to them, but really the only thing I use the templates for is as an idea for the customer on what he / she can expect, and what is on that market really right now. Explain to 'em that each machine is custom built, we don't stock a lot of hardware (CPU's, mainboards and memory) as prices change too often I'd get locked into one price when the going retail price may be the same as I payed for, the next week. But as for things like cases, I always make sure to have a wide variety in stock because everyone's taste is different... and afterall, these people will be looking at these machines for a good year, some of them 2 or more.

It's all really how much bull**** you can put up with :) The more stupid people you can handle selling equipment too, the more successful your gonna be (and the least likely to get arrested for assaulting a customer :D (Remember, it takes 42 muscles in your face to frown, but only 4 muscles to flat out *****slap someone :D))... Anyway off on a ramble now :) That's just an idea of what I do, and it's worked well over the years.
    <font size=1>Pentium 4 2.53GHz @ 3.515GHz (FSB: 185; VCore: 1.725)</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.thermaltake.com/products/heatsink/v7plus.htm">ThermalTake Volcano 7+</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.albatron.com.tw/product/PX845PEV_800.asp">Albatron PX845PEV-800</a></font>
    <font size=1>512MB Samsung DDR333 @ DDR370</font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.ati.com/products/pc/radeon9700pro/">Radeon 9700 Pro 128MB</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.adaptec.com/worldwide/product/proddetail.html?prodkey=ASC-29160">Adaptec 29160 Ultra160 SCSI Controller</a></font>
    <font size=1><a href="http://www.seagate.com/cda/products/discsales/marketing/detail/0,1081,321,00.html">Seagate ST373405LW 73GB U160 SCSI</a></font>
    <font size=1>Enermax EG465P-VE 450watt PSU</font>
    <font size=1>CPU Temp (100%): 39 C; HDD Temp (100%): 31 C (100%); Chipset Temp (100%): 32 C</font>

Thread Information