Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: new system

After reading this forum and from the responses from my posts I am about ready to order parts and build a computer.
    Here's what I am contemplating ordering from Newegg:

Antec slk3700 350w psu $73.00
    Epox 8RDA+ 99.64
    Kingston HyperX pc3000 256mb cl2 88.00 (2 sticks)
    LiteOn CD-RW 52x24x52 50.00
    Gainward GeF4 Ti4200 8x AGP 64mb 119.00
    Logitech Z640 42.40(after $20 rebate)
    750 Duron(free, I'll use it for now and later get an XP2400+)

I need advice on the vid card. I have no reason for choosing it other than it had no vi/vo or tv features and I read that 64mb was faster than128mb. I would like a cheaper card but I don't want to hamstring the setup for when I get a xp 2400+ cpu. This is an upgrade from a 133mhz system, so I am not into heavy gaming. I do want to run a cad program and the wife is shopping for a digital camera. Help me out here please.
    Is it necessary to spend $73 on a case to get a good power supply and a case that will allow proper ventilation? I like the idea of spending $35/40 if it will do the job and someone knows which case and power supply will work. I would like to try some minor overclocking after the new wears off.
    Please critique my selections. Pros and cons would be appreciated too. Would I notice using pc2700 instead of pc3000? Maybe generic ram if no heavy overclocking. Pease respond as I am ready to get started.
    Jim

Well if i were in your shoes:D I would get a ti 4200 with 128mg's or vram. You are correct in that the 64 mg version has a slightly faster clock speed but its only slight and the extra 64 mgs will help a lot in most applications. Next the faster ram should aid in the overclocking department:thumb:
    What the fcuk happened to my sig?

I beleive a good power supply is a must for stability, especially if you plan to oc a bit. A good case has many benefits not often discussed such as no sharp edges (I've lost a lot of blood, cumulativly, upgrading cheap cases), proper fit of standard components (i.e. mobo doesn't deform when screwing down cards), space design - so cd-roms don't hit the mobo, etc.. The Gainward is a good card and usually oc'able (the Golden Sample versions even more so). The 64mb version is probably fine for your use (128mb helps with large game textures). Lite-on is a good brand of optical drive but you'll need special media to burn at max speed (the drive is supposed to be able to detect if the media is certified as 52X). Speaker selection is a good value. You should do OK with it.

With that mobo and a future CPU upgrade you'd be silly to go for anything less than PC3200 but then that's my opinion and when ya get right down to it the better quality and faster rating the better the performance will be (especially if overclockin' as this chipset will quickly stress out the best available). :devil win

If I go with pc3200 ram, can I start with one stick and add the other later? Would it have to go in a certain bank if only using one stick with this mobo?I don't want to spend the money for corsair. Will kingston or samsung suffice? Your opinion please.
    Would the gigabyte ati radeon 9000 be a better video card? Thanks

Jim

Quote Originally Posted by jrb
    If I go with pc3200 ram, can I start with one stick and add the other later? Would it have to go in a certain bank if only using one stick with this mobo?I don't want to spend the money for corsair. Will kingston or samsung suffice? Your opinion please.
    Would the gigabyte ati radeon 9000 be a better video card? Thanks

Jim
    nforce2 MB's can be run with a single dimm..of course you limit your performance - but as you said you can add the 2nd dimm later

a Ti4200 is significantly faster than a Radeon9000 or 9100. It depends on what your into...a Radeon9100 would give you about 85-90% of the perfromance of a Ti4200 for about 50-60% of the price. - a 9500pro would be a step up - or a 9500 non-pro with the soft mod..but they're usually a few $$'s more than a ti4200

Thread Information