Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: New processor in Gigabyte board...help?

Hi folks. Need a bit of help. I have a Systemax system with a Gigabyte GA-7VTXE motherboard. It hold an AMD Athlon XP 1600+ processor. I know my board is compatible with at least a 2000+ and I would like to upgrade to this processor. I'm just not sure of the procedure as the last time I upgraded was on an old system with a MB that had the jumpers for buss speed, multiplier, etc. Can anyone help or recommend a site that can help?
    Thanks!

Being a KT266A based mobo it's very unlikely that it will work (or work properly) with the later Thoroughbred cores though overclocking can reap rewards but ya may have to upgrade ya HSF.

I have a GA-7VTXE with a 2400+ in it. The board will support up to 2500+ with the latest BIOS update. Upgrading CPU is very simple with this motherboard, all you do is plug in the new one and the BIOS will auto config your new CPU. Viola.

Crunch

Oh and BTW my 2400 is a Thoroughbred core so yes it will work fine with any core up to 2500. :thumb:

So, where and how do I upgrade the bios? I did it a few years ago to an older MB with out any problems.
    Greg

What core is my 1600+ XP? I've found a 2000+ XP with a "Palomino" core. Would this type core be more likely to be compatible?

The Palamino core is the first AthlonXP core and ya should have no probs with that at all.

the mobo should have come with a cd that has @bios software on it. launch softwasr and @bios will find the right one for you and install it with no problems. it is probibly the only thing that i like about my gigabyte board. just waiting to upgrade it to something else.
    Hope this helps
    Night

Thread Information