Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Anyone test out the new XP2500+ Barton ?

I was just wondering the feedback on the AMD 2500+ Barton core. I know it's 333 Mhz FSB, but I only have PC2100 ddr ram (crucial) and I think I would bottle nect it if I used the Barton with that speed ram, right?

Abit KD7E mother board, and AMD 2100+ ver b for the time being. plus 768 mb DDR RAM.
    "Former Nebraskan... fix it with bailin' wire."
    Vern

SYSTEM:
    MULTIBOOT -> Windows XP, ME and Mandrake 9.2 Linux

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

Kingston Hyper X 1GB DDR CAS 2 set agressively!
    Custom fan cooler for CPU
    USB 2.0 all onboard no card
    GeForce4 MX440 AGP 64MB DDR Video Card
    10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    Leadtek TV 2000 XP video input card PCI
    160 GB ATA 133 Maxtor HD 8MB buffer
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner
    Pioneer DVR-105 DVD Burner
    Logitec optical mouse on adapter
    DW 6000 Satellite 2-Way internet connection

jenefarm@direcway.com

i have this cpu and its SWEEEEET. its the best bang for the buck by far. It overclock so easly with bearly any temp increase. atm im waiting for a volc 7+ but with stock cooling i have it running at 2ghz with 41C idle and 47C max load. I have an asus A7N8X rev 2 mobo with i know unoficially suports 200mhz fsb as that is one of the default choices in the bios. Im running 2x 265mb Crucial pc2700 and its sync with the cpu fsb. To answer your question yes your cpu would probobly be bottlenecked a bit but i cant say by how much its best to have every thing running sync but if you cant then well have it running now and wait till ddr drops more and just get 2700 or 3200 ram. O another great thing about the barton is that its unlocked so you dont have to fiddle around with wires, glue, pencils and so on. So far i did not have any bluescreens or frezzes on any 3dmark tests or any instability issues. i give the 2500 barton a 10/10 :cheers: here is a pic of results straight out of the box as soon as i get the volc 7+ ill push it a bit more

o forgot to say for any one who cares i have a Gf4 4400 and my 3dmark01 score was just around 14000 and my 3dmark03 score was a mindblowing 1850 this is not bad i guess

I have Wcpuid in my computer, and if you click on it, you get a big blue screen and then it starts to dump the memory.. I take it, that it does not like the XP interface or vice-a-versa??

Where do you get a WCPUID for XP?

Also I downloaded a new version of the BIOS for my KD7E motherboard and it supports, believe it or not, the Barton 333 MHz FSB! and it's a KT333 chipset.
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner

jenefarm@direcway.com

Um well this is wcpu31a and yes that is on windows XP here is the offical site you can get it from http://www.h-oda.com/

well i can say that so far im am very impresed with this cpu im still waiting around to get a new hs and fan... so im still using stock as soon as i get a better one ill go for faster speed

:D I've got the right download now. Thanks!!! It actually works.

I have the Abit KD7E Motherboard with the latest BIOS revision and it shows as a KT400 BIOS now.

I also set the m/b jumer from "Strapping from Boot ROM" (default) that allows you to set the CPU for Fast Decode in the Softmenu III bios. I set the jumper to the 2-3 pin position to allow booting and the CPU set the timing of the S2K bus. This eliminates the BIOS option, but seems to be just the ticket as if you DO set the BIOS to fast command decode, you will get Nada.. nothing.. no boot with the Barton.

Just 2 cents worth.

Also my Dane-Electric PC2700 RAM does NOT perform as good as my Crucial PC2100 RAM. The 2 X 256 Crucial get set to 333 MHz and actually work there.... AND ... do better than 1 stick of the Dane Electric 512 MB PC2700.. go figure!!
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner

jenefarm@direcway.com

This is really sad:( My Thoroughbreed 2100+ ver "b" will do better in benchmarks than the new 2500 Barton I have UNLESS I push the 2500+ to 2800+ (increasing themultiplier) Using PC2700 DDR ram with the Barton and before I had PC2100 Crucial DDR RAM with an AMD Thoroughbreed 2100+ 'b' CPU.

The Barton should just climb all over the other processor.. it has more FSB speed, it has more L2 cache, it has higher clock speed, so what happened? Is this a dud CPU? .... dud , meaning this series is one of AMD's attempts to compete with increased cache, but the engineering design of the CPU did not increase it's ability to process and crunch numbers as well?? I may be all wet on this idea, but any other reason why a T- breed would out do a Barton?
    :rolleyes:
    Vern

SYSTEM:

Abit KV8-MAX3
    AMD 64 Clawhammer 3200+

10/100 NIC 3Com onboard
    350 W Enermax PS
    Toshiba DVD ROM drive
    Yamaha CD Burner