Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Poll: What kind of memory will Hammer use?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What kind of memory will Hammer use?

The Hammer processor will have a memory controller inside of it, so AMD will have to chose very well the kind os memory it will use.
    What kind of memory do you think it should be?
    DDR 333?
    DDR 666?
    QDR (whatever it is)
    Rambus?
    PC 100?????
    or... PC 66?

ATM only DDR and DDRII, but speeds havn't really been discussed, are being openly talked about but there have been rumors about QDR but that probably depends on the outcome of that technology actually working propperly. :smokin:
    <center>:cheers:</center>

I'm postive they won't use pc100 or 66... haha... and i doubt that they would even consider rambus since intel uses that as there main one... i don't think they want to be so similar... anyways.. i have never heard of qdr... what is that... any info on that would be interesting

This will tell ya more about QDR and has links to more info. :devil:

Beefy Guest

Umm.. there wasn't much thought in that poll was there? why the hell would you put pc 100 / 66, when they are obselete already, and NOT put in PC133, which still probably won't be used.. ?!?

Maybe I should change those just to SDRAM then? :?:

Heh, heh beefy, Posting a poll has no pre-requisites...

I know that they wonīt use PC 100 or PC 66, or even PC 133. I thought it would be funny to put PC 66 together with a 64bit processor

But maybe I would write SDRAM off just yet though as rumour has it that some versions of the CPU may actually have 2 memory controllers built in even though it's more likely to be dual channel DDR. :smokin:

Ok here's the latest on this question!
    At <a href="http://www.vanshardware.com/articles/2002/02/020222_No_Rambus_For_Hammer/020222_No_Rambus_For_Hammer.htm" target="_blank">Van's Hardware</a> (this is also linked in the news) they have word from AMD spokesman Damon Muzny on the subject.
    For those too lazy to check the link I'll copy and paste it for you.
    [b]Recent rumors circulating around the Internet allege that Advanced Micro Deviceís upcoming 64-bit processor will make use of memory technology from controversial intellectual property peddler Rambus, Inc. However the rumors are false, according to AMD spokesman Damon Muzny. Responding to our questions on the subject, Mr. Muzny reiterated previously disclosed information regarding the Hammer design. According to Mr. Muzny, Hammer architecture is planned to implement support for PC1600, PC2100, and PC2700 (DDR333). This memory support will come in both single channel (64-bit) and dual-channel (128-bit) varieties, as was discussed at the recent Platform Conference.

Hammer possesses a dual ported integrated memory controller. While a Rambus variant of Hammer might serve to reduce pin count, the latency penalties that the serialized memory design imposes has caused the technology to underperform similarly equipped SDRAM and DDR SDRAM systems in the past, especially when these systems were gated by processor throughput requirements. Furthermore, a dual-channel PC2700 system will boast 5.4GB/s of bandwidth, which would demand an expensive quad-channel RDRAM system to match.

AMD licensed Rambus RDRAM technology in the months before the original Athlon was introduced because of Intelís declaration to make RDRAM the next industry standard. However, AMD backed away from the Mountain View, California-based design when their tests indicated that SDRAM and DDR SDRAM were better matches for its line of CPUs. Just last month Rambusís biggest supporter, Intel, served a major setback to RDRAM penetration into the desktop market with its launch of DDR SDRAM-enabled i845d chipsets for its Pentium 4 processors, something the CPU giant originally said it would never do.

Although Rambus sees its market share remaining essentially static over the next few years, most independent analysts forecast RDRAMís already thin pie slice to become a transparent sliver in the years to come.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread Information