Please report all spam threads, posts and suspicious members. We receive spam notifications and will take immediate action!

Thread: Opteron systems to finally arrive here

i checked with a local store and they have the latest AMD8131 chipset based opteron server motherboards..
    the price though is 569.00 (notice its under 570) euros. that and two opteron 240s to go with it (add 389 euros per cpu), dunno why but they have
    ATI rage XL graphics chip onboard.
    (i thought that amd and nvidia usually stuck together) btw it has no agp slots just pci-x which is 64bits wide at 100mhz
    (800Mbytes per second)
    maybe u could use two exact pci-x cards and join their sources for extra graphics power. GB-lan also included.
    heres the photo
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

looks mighty taste, will probably be my next upgrade, depending on price and other options available.....

andy, i'd strongly recommend u wait for Athlon64 and the newer chipsets. A new cpu is not most likely to come up with a crushing chipset right away.
    Despite the fact that , with the rage xl gpu, all u can do is watch dvd and play 2d games, the memory can run 333Mhz 144bits wide, which is quite impressive. :thumb:
    and the memory is directly accessed by the cpu which makes it extremely efficient (more than 97%).
    However the lack of agp slot, is probably unacceptable for the gamer.
    Dell Inspiron 8200 laptop
    p4 1.7GHz, 1GB DDR-Ram, 40GB hdd, DVD-ROM+External DVD-+RW, connected to a BenQ 17"LCD Display (own LCD display went nuts)

I've heard about the opertons not doing so well in games.....but The article I read a year ago about the operton processors were the sledgehammer and clawhammer.

sledgehammer= 8 cpu's on same mobo

clawhammer=4 cpu's on same mobo

This one only has 2....so what is the code name of that?
    I shall stir the gates of hell once more and stare into the jaws of death and laugh, for I will know fear no more.

Actually Opertons are the "Sledgehammer" (up to 8 CPU systems) and Athlon 64's are the "Clawhammer" (single and dual systems). The Operton is pointed directly at business so yes gamin' will be lousy on their platforms. The Athlon 64 though will have the nForce3 to try and keep us happy though that won't happen till about September.

Thread Information